1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Good graphics card for 300 watt psi

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Danknasty, Apr 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Danknasty

Danknasty Thread Starter

First off hello everyone. I just bought a new comp primarily for work but was wondering if there are any decent graphics cards that I can use with a 300 watt Psu. There's so many cards it's hard to chose but I've read that the gtx 750 ti works with little power and minimum Psu requirements are at 300 watts. Are these any good?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    The GeForce GTX 750 Ti graphics card uses 60 watts and requires a minimum power supply of 300 watts.

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-750-ti/specifications

If you plan to use that new computer only for basic functions, you may be okay.

If you plan to use it for gaming or anything else system-hungry, its power supply will need to be replaced with a higher wattage and better quality model.

-------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not a graphics card or power supply expert, so my input here is limited.

I'm sure others will respond.

-------------------------------------------------------------

3. Danknasty

Danknasty Thread Starter

I planned to use it for gaming but what else would be the purpose of this energy efficient powerful gpu if not for some graphic intensive stuff?

4. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Gaming puts a high demand on a power supply, so sufficient wattage and 12 volt rail amperage output and a quality unit is needed.

You didn't describe your new computer, but it's my guess it's a factory brand one and has a generic 300 watt power supply.

The hardware and gaming experts (crjdriver, Triple6, Tanis, etc.) here can better advise you than I can.

----------------------------------------------------------

5. Danknasty

Danknasty Thread Starter

Yes most likely does have generic this is my computer.hp 500-520qe Desktop PC with i7-4790. I thought the purpose of this graphics card was for low wattage psus because I don't see any others with such low requirements.

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    The HP 500-520qe desktop is a custom model that allows you to choose different hardware options, but it doesn't give you that option for the power supply.

I'm guessing yours has a "Bestec" or other generic brand 300 power supply.

Your desktop has an Intel Core i7-4790 3.60 GHz processor that uses 84 watts, so between the processor and the GeForce GTX 750 Ti graphics card, they consume a lot of wattage.

Whatever I say isn't going to satisfy you, so I've requested one of the hardware/gaming experts to jump in.

----------------------------------------------------------

7. jamesx121

jamesx121

I entered my build in to this web-page

http://powersupplycalculator.net/

here is my results-----
    says I need 429 watts at the minimum and recommends
    more to have a stable system, without shorting the life of the system.
    I know they are put out by the PSU mfcs but they do serve a purpose.
    James
    sorry about 2 pictures but page was too big for just 1.
    I have a 850 watt psu because my graphics card is a power hog------

Attached Files:

8. Danknasty

Danknasty Thread Starter

I know psu upgrades are always advised when getting a high end gpu I was hoping I could pull this off. Once I start swapping psu's I feel like I'm better off building from scratch. I dunno maybe the price of around 530 for the setup justifies the upgrades.

9. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    James:

Thanks for submitting that link for the power supply calculator site.
    The previous site I used shut down a long time ago.
    I just used it on my Dell OptiPlex 780 which has a 305 watt power supply.
    It's well within its limits. (y)

---------------------------------------------------------

10. jamesx121

jamesx121

Flavallee ::::::
    I don't know if its the best one--
    just one I found on Google
    the one from NewEgg isn't as detailed for listing all your stuff
    in the case
    James

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

OK, first of all, there is something you need to understand; ALL of the parts in the system need to work together to achieve decent gaming performance. There is more to a gaming system than just installing a decent video card;

1 First and foremost you need a quality pw supply ie seasonic, corsair [only hx, tx, or ax models] FSP [only units with the 5yr warranty. Here is an example of what you need;
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151095
    Yes, you need a new pw supply.

2 The case needs to have good airflow to disipate the extra heat generated by the video card

3 The mb must be of decent quality AND this is another area in which you are going to have a problem. HP, Dell, whatever have parts that are fine for what they are designed to do; ie run Office, watch movies, email, etc. The mb is big box systems just do not have the heavy duty VRs [voltage regulators] heavy duty capacitors, extra cooling for the northbridge, etc, etc.

What you are attempting to do is analogous to buying a basic Chevy then installing a high lift cam; just not going to perform like a ZR1 Vette.

12. Danknasty

Danknasty Thread Starter

Ok but there must be some medium I have to buy all those things to play games decently on that computer? I know I won't get ultra setting on the latest battlefield or whatever but is there some card that will allow for some reasonable gaming? I'm not just ready for the thousand dollar gaming rig just yet but when I am I will go all out. But new case mobo and psu would make more sense to cancel my order right?

13. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If you want to game, you have two choices;
    1 Build a system OR have a competent shop build one for you
    2 Buy a system designed for gaming ie dell/alienware or other purpose built system.

Big box systems are fine for what they are designed to do. I think we have at least 3000 dells at work and they do fine for what we use them for. Would I ever attempt to play games with one of them? NO. Well, maybe solitaire :)

14. Danknasty

Danknasty Thread Starter

What if the game I play is league of legends and dota 2

15. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I do not play games so I really have no idea what their requirements are. As I have told you, if you want to game, refer to the choices above.

Remember when you use hardware in a manner for which it was not designed, you are asking for a problem. HPs are just not designed for gaming.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1147334

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice