Good Ideas!

ekim68

Mike

‘A huge step forward.’ Mutant enzyme could vastly improve recycling of plastic bottles

Recycling isn’t as guilt-free as it seems. Only about 30% of the plastic that goes into soda bottles gets turned into new plastic, and it often ends up as a lower strength version. Now, researchers report they’ve engineered an enzyme that can convert 90% of that same plastic back to its pristine starting materials. Work is underway to scale up the technology and open a demonstration plant next year.

ekim68

Mike
How to Make a Butter-Baked Onion

Onions are an assertive ingredient, usually used to bring either aggressive astringency or deep, developed umami to a dish. A baked onion, however, does neither, and it still manages to be one of my favorite onions. Butter-baked onions are soft and sweet, with a brothy savoriness that reads almost like French onion soup. It’s a homey, comforting side dish, and it only requires three ingredients.

ekim68

Mike

New type of marine plastic degrades quickly under ultraviolet light

One of the grave problems with plastic waste in the ocean is not just the mess it creates today, but the mess it might leave for centuries to come. Scientists at Cornell University have been working on more environmentally friendly forms of plastic for the fishing industry, and have come up with a new material that offers comparable strength to today’s solutions but can break down much more quickly when exposed to UV light.

ekim68

Mike

'Artificial leaf' concept inspires research into solar-powered fuel production

Rice University researchers have created an efficient, low-cost device that splits water to produce hydrogen fuel.

The platform developed by the Brown School of Engineering lab of Rice materials scientist Jun Lou integrates catalytic electrodes and perovskite solar cells that, when triggered by sunlight, produce electricity. The current flows to the catalysts that turn water into hydrogen and oxygen, with a sunlight-to-hydrogen efficiency as high as 6.7%.

ekim68

Mike

ekim68

Mike

Directed evolution produces heat-resistant coral to endure climate change

The world’s coral reefs face an uncertain future in the face of climate change and warming oceans, and scientists have been forced to get creative in conjuring up long-term solutions. Among those is the idea of developing new types of coral that are more resistant to heat, and researchers in Australia are reporting new success in this area through a technique known as “directed evolution.”

ekim68

Mike

Forget planting trees. This company is funding 4 far-out carbon removal projects.

The carbon removal technologies Stripe chose are early stage, and currently remove carbon at a cost of between $75 and $775 per ton — a far cry from common carbon offset projects like forest conservation and methane capture from landfills, which typically cost less than $10 per ton. Stripe’s $1 million will only sequester about 6,500 tons of CO2, assuming the earliest-stage projects it chose actually work.

ekim68

Mike

Extra salty sodium battery performs on par with lithium

Batteries that use a sodium-ion chemistry rather than the commonplace lithium-ion could offer a number of advantages, owing to the cheap and abundant nature of the element. Scientists at Washington State University have come up with a design billed as a potential game changer in this area – a sodium-ion battery offering a comparable energy capacity and cycling ability to some lithium-ion batteries already on the market.

ekim68

Mike

Blinxi adds LED turn indicators to existing bike helmets

There are now numerous "smart" bike helmets available, most of which incorporate remotely operated LED turn indicators. Well, if that's the feature you really want, Blinxi lets you add it to your existing "dumb" helmet.

Created by Paris-based company Overade (which previously brought us a rather clever folding helmet), the Blinxi system consists of two main parts: the actual LED light strip, and a radio remote control module.

Brigham

John

Johnny b

John
If you read the article properly you will see it is for drugs which alter the GABA system.

I reread the article several times.
I stand corrected :D

Looking at some of the other elements affected in that 'GABA system', I suspect long term human trials will be considered. There are some complicated issues and potentially nasty side effects to watch out for.

Brigham

John
I didn't mean to correct you harshly. This type of research is close to my heart as I am 86 and have noticed that my memory is getting worse. The drugs that they seem to be interested in are benzodiazepines, some being very addictive.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts