1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Good mic gone bad

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by mebits, Mar 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mebits

mebits Thread Starter

Actually, the mic is fine, but I have no idea what's gone wrong. My microphone will not pick up any sound levels whatsoever.

I can hear sounds from my pc, so I know it's not the speakers just not playing back my voice. I have tried adjusting the levels, (it's not on mute) and still no input from the mic. I'm running XP, had the mic working just fine a few months ago and just tested it (plus another one) on my laptop. Both work fine on the laptop, nada on the PC.

Sounds and audio device settings are normal, I've checked 20x. Volume Control for the mic is set mid-range.

My sound card is an Avance AC'97 Audio and my PC says it's functioning correctly.

I'm about to give up.

I recorded a quick vid to show my PC audio/mic settings. I would have narrated it, but.... I CAN'T.

Here's what I've got so far: http://screencast.com/t/R4yFCmfg

PLEASE-- can anyone help?

Also, in case someone suggests I need to download a new driver:

I just went to DriversCollection.com to download the driver update. Downloaded and unzipped the file, then followed the instructions on the readme.txt file:

1. Went to my Control Panel --> Double-click the "System" icon to open the "System Properties" dialog from Control Panel .
    2. Choose "Hardware" tab and click the "Device Manager" button .
    3. Please right-click mouse on "MultiMedia Audio Controller" and choose the "Properties" menu item
    to show the driver details.
    4. Click the "Driver" tab and then click the "Update Driver..." button for update.
    5. Please follow the instructions of the "Upgrade Device Driver Wizard".
    6. Choose "Search for a suitable driver for my device" and click the "Next" button.
    7. Please specify the driver location/source and then click the "Next" button in this case,
    "Specify a location" has been chosen.
    8. If "Specify driver location" is chosen, the Wizard will ask for the path where the driver is located.

Then the Hardware Update Wizard kicks in starts searching for the location of the driver I just downloaded, and then I get this message:

Cannot Continue the Hardware Update Wizard

The Wizard could not find a better match for your hardware than the software you currently have installed.

Are my options exhausted? Do I need a new sound card?

2. mebits

mebits Thread Starter

Anyone????

3. mebits

mebits Thread Starter

OK, I plugged in my mic to the input connection at the back of the PC, and now it works. It used to work from the input at the front of the PC, 10mm from where I plug in my earbuds, but no longer.

Problem solved, unless someone knows how to make the connection at the front of my PC work too.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/697960

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice