1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Good old fashioned DOS Games

Discussion in 'Games' started by DCLeadboot, Sep 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DCLeadboot

DCLeadboot Thread Starter

Although a boot disk is a handy thing for when a system completely screws up, my main interest is to be able to reach good old-fashioned MS-DOS from a computer set up with Windows XP.
    The main reason is because I sometimes long for the old computer games that relied heavily on DOS-based conditions and won't otherwise work in a modern OS. Win 2000 and XP both seem to have completely killed DOS.

When I tried out a DOS 5 boot disk the other day, it worked alright and I was in DOS, but the thing would not acknowledge the hard disc C. How do I use this thing to install and play old DOS games?

2. techkid

techkid

First Name:
    David
    Hmm... :confused: The best that I can come up with is dual-boot. Create a second partition on your hard disk just running DOS.

It might work.

3. Jtoast

Jtoast

You probably have your harddrive formated to NTFS which DOS doesn't recognize.

Instead of a dual boot system I would give DosBox a try. Pretty decent DOS emulator.

The other option is to Convert your drive from NTFS back to fat 32. Keep in mind that if you choose this option the max partition size is 32GB so you will probably have multiple partitions per drive.

4. DCLeadboot

Thanks JToast, (y)
    It seems that the C: drive is already set to FAT32, according to the properties shown by Explorer. But what is NTFS?

Trying out that DosBox. I hope to master it. AND that it will work, of course!

5. andy909

andy909

NTFS is the new modern format that a hard disk stores your data. It is used on bigger drives and is know to be a more reliable storage format. You cannot run win98 on NTFS so that uses FAT or FAT32 file systems. I hope dis explains.

6. DCLeadboot

A new problem cropped up with DosBox

After checking and rechecking, I cannot make the CD-ROM work!
    There must be something I'm not doing right, but what? :confused:

The FAQ goes a bit around the houses, and I cannot figure it out. It says something about labeling the drive as 'cdrom' upon mounting.
    In turn, I tried to run the old game Little Big Adventure, which happens to rely on its CD for extras (music as such). It said there was no cd, therefore stops, dispite the fact that it was properlly inserted and acknowledged by Windows Explorer. :confused:

Update: this is worse than I thought. Even playing LBA directly from Windows itself, using VDM Sound Emulator, it fails to acknowledge the CD is there! :mad: Oooogh! Why? Why? Why? Why? WHY?!

7. Ol Sarge

Ol Sarge Guest

I've read this little bit of wisdom several times in this forum. I use FAT32 on 80 and 120gb hard drives, with both ME and XP, and I can make any size partition I desire, up to and including 120gb. (Could be that the authors have outdated muthaboards or BIOSs.)

8. Jtoast

Jtoast

Actually I kinda misstated that.

Windows 2k will only allow 32GB fat32 partitions.

XP does let you get around that. The problem is that once you start getting to the extremely large partitions the cluster size required to use FAT32 wastes much of the space and also makes it fragment much quicker and to a greater degree.

9. DCLeadboot

:confused: NTFS and FAT32 seem to be all very well, but this is getting a little beyond me, I must admit. They are interesting, but not quite my area.
    Drawing and computer colouring, animating, gaming and a little programming experience (C, C++, Flash Action Scripting): these are more my department.

Meanwhile, I have been mastering DosBox. As I said, Little Big Adventure won't work even here. In DosBox or in Windows, the thing relies on the CD and neither can find it. :confused: Any ideas?

However, I installed its sequel, Little Big Adventure 2, which dates back to Windows '95. This one works fine, though it may be a little jerky in windowed mode. :) Love it when a plan comes together!

10. Jtoast

Jtoast

11. DCLeadboot

Thanks, Jtoast!! :D
    Thanks to that link you sent, finally, for the first time since I've saw that game as a Shareware Demo, it actually works properlly with sounds, music and spoken dialogue.
    I can scarcely contain my excitement as I write!

Thanks again!!

12. Jtoast

Jtoast

Glad to help.

One good thing about dosbox is there is documentation by game.

I got that link by clicking the "games link" on their website and navigating to that particular game. Most of the supported games have decent docs on how to make it work.

13. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U

ps mountin is much easier in the windows frontend addition to dosbox.

14. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    JToast, if you can find a solution to make Transport Tycoon to work with DOSBox you'll make this englishman happy! :)

15. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U

i dont know much about these things but i do know alot about linux. sysresccd comes with freedos and you can also find freedos linux packages or bootloaders which you can burn it to a bootable cd or have a partition, linux will recognize it, and freedos can play ur games. i dont know if this will work but it is logically correct.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/269023

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice