1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Good PC Maintanance

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by scavynger, Jul 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. scavynger

scavynger Thread Starter

Hi All,

I've been using the following combination for months now and it seems to be working just fine for me.

AdWare
    SpyBot
    Hijack This
    Windows Defender
    Norton

At the time I did some research, it seemed these were the best combination of tools to keep a smooth running pc. However, just curious if there are any other tools that I may not have heard of, or are relatively new, that I shoudl consider in my regular cleanup routine. I'm not having any specific problems, just want to stay proactive in doing what i can.

Thanks for any suggestions. Also, looking for freeware tools only.

2. MFDnNC

MFDnNC

3. new tech guy

new tech guy

scavynger, i would reccomend that you dont use hjt unless you have a problem and know what your doing as you can seriously cripple or ruin a pc if you do not know what you are doing. Not an add on, but just a suggestion.

4. hewee

hewee

5. redoak

redoak Gone but never forgotten

Here is a list of my security programs. They have done very well by me for a long time.
    {redoak}

ZoneLabs free firewall
    AVG anti-virus
    Ad-Aware SE Personal
    Spybot S and D
    SpywareGuard
    SpywareBlaster
    EWIDO- extended trial version
    A-squared
    CWShredder
    Bazooka

All of these are free or have a free/trial version.

6. hewee

hewee

I stopped using SpywareGuard because I think WinPatrol does the same thing and it uses less CPU.

7. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

How come no one’s mentioned CCleaner ??? ... http://www.ccleaner.com/
    I run it several times a day ... only takes a second or two ... And very rarely find any Ad/Spyware left over.

8. redoak

Thanks, "hewee," for the reference to "WinPatrol."

"Noyb": Do you use the 'default' settings in "CCleaner" or do you customize? Also, do you use all three modes or just the primary one? Your reply should clarify your use of "CCleaner" for "s" as well as me. Thanks.

{redoak}

9. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

I like WinPatrol also .. been thinking about getting the paid upgrade.

I use Tweak Now for the registry.

CCleaner Customized (Sort of) ... Especially the Cookies - if Cookie cleaning is turned on.
    Think I need to clean Google Earth .. now that I look at it.

Attached Files:

• CC.gif
      CC.gif
      File size:
      61.9 KB
      Views:
  10. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

A couple of points:

1. "And very rarely find any Ad/Spyware left over" - CCleaner doesn't detect this, so if you have it before you will have it after you run it.
    2. Selecting the deletion of old Prefetch is a complete waste of time and is counter productive
    3. IMHO - Running this multiple times a day, even if it is quick, is unnecessary. Run it as part of your maintenance routine when you do backups, scandisks, defrags, etc

11. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

The Spyware/Adware cleaners find a lot of trivial “stuff” in the temp files … etc…
    I clean these first .. so that if something shows up … I know it’s significant.

Cleaning several times a day doesn’t hurt … and it’s the principal of it.
    Most of the browsing is redirected thru data miners who are collecting a profile on your shopping habits.
    If you don’t clean .. then they can tell you are the same computer that was shopping for something yesterday.
    Then they sell these shopping profiles.
    If you clean often .. then you look like a new computer every time … and it messes up their profiling.

I hope I look like 10,000 different computers … Statistically profile that.
    It’s this adware that shows up in the Ad/Spyware scanners.

I know one Computer instructor who recommends running Adaware every day because he always has many hits daily.

I haven’t had a Ad/Spyware “hit” in several months.
    When I do .. I usually know where it came from.

I can’t tell any difference if my Prefetch is turned on .. or off
    I figure removing the old Prefetch stuff is a good compromise.
    I think CCleaner removes Prefetch info older than two weeks.

12. WhitPhil

Not sure why anyone would care? It's not as if they are specifically identifying YOUR PC!

So, then when you run a program that you haven't used in over two weeks there is no prefetch info, and as a result it's rebuilt. Which, is a complete waste of time. If you aren't going to use the feature, disable it.

13. redoak

"Prefetch" file has a size limit, as I recall from an extended critique re 'cleaning' it. The final point was 'leave it alone!' It is intended to be helpful.

I use "Ccleaner" perhaps weekly, with customized settings based on my limited experience and "intuition." It is sometimes difficult to determine exactly what is intended by the names of the menu items, which is not only true for "CCleaner." Perhaps the "Unnecessary" mode within "EasyCleaner" would be a good alternative, using only the first three or four items in the associated menu. Any comments re this possibility?
    {redoak}

14. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

FWIW ...
    I've read that Prefetch is used to organize the HD during a defrag ... and that sounds like a good reason to leave it alone ...
    ... At least during the buildup of the OS and installed programs.
    All my data goes to a second partition ... so my OS doesn’t get fragged much anymore.

I figure messing with the registry can be dangerous.
    For this reason .. I may clean it about once a month or two .. with Tweak Now (in the safe mode) and have it back up the cleaning
    This way .. If something goes wrong, that may take me a while to discover … I don’t have to guess which registry backup to recover… to see if that was the problem.
    Don’t know about Easy Cleaner ... but I’d use the same careful approach with it.

15. WhitPhil

There is an "automatic" run of Defrag that uses the prefectch info. As well, it is used every time you start an application.
    It is not a "normal" type defrag since it is also trying to keep "pieces" that are commonly used, close together.

"All my data goes to a second partition ... so my OS doesn’t get fragged much anymore."

So, you don't do many installs/uninstalls?
    Did you also move your \Temp folders?
    And, your \TIF?
    Even the pagefile?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/487170

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice