1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Good sites for quickly finding specs?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Skye55, Mar 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Skye55

Skye55 Thread Starter

I am new here, if I sound like I don't know whats going on then most likely I don't! I like to work with hard drives for a hobby. I buy old/used systems and tinker around some then usually give it to a friend if it is in working order and a complete system with a licesnse key. My husband has about had it with my varied collection of dustly old computer pieces and parts. My goal,generally, is to figure out whats wrong and get it up and running again by not giving up on it until I decide is is really DOA. Again, just for fun. I am self taught as I have never had much money to buy a working/new confuser so I began cannibalizing machines a long time ago so I could actually have a working one.

That said, I come across myriad stickers with various numbers and names on them. The license key is simple to spot but the rest of the information isn't always as easy. Does anyone have a site(s) to share that might 1) break down info generally printed on the sticker affixed to the case of a laptop or tower and 2) that will help me quickly locate a model/SN so I can tell just what came with/loaded/on the machine from the factory originally. That is where I like to start. Most people I buy old computers from say things like :"It was hardly used" like new" or "comes fully loaded" when I ask for any specs and or upgrades.

Thank you for your help.

Skye

2. MMKnight

MMKnight

First Name:
    Mike
    Hi Skye,

I would recommend Speccy. It's free and can be downloaded here: https://www.ccleaner.com/speccy This application will give you information about almost anything on the system. Another that's just as good, though more detailed is HWiNfO, again free from here: https://www.hwinfo.com/

Hope this helps.

Speccy

[​IMG]

HWiNFO

[​IMG]

3. Skye55

Skye55 Thread Starter

HI!
    Everything helps. Thank you so much for taking time to reply. These days there is just way too much info out there to go it alone. I am going to check both out now.

Skye

4. MMKnight

MMKnight

First Name:
    Mike
    You're welcome. Let us know if you need any further help.

5. irbrenda

irbrenda

I have been using Belarc Advisor for a long time and that basically tells me everything that is my computer. My system is old, self-built, and that's what I've been doing as a hobby for over twenty-five years too. Court reporter by trade, frustrated computer tech all other times! A+ Certified, means nothing these days. LOL. But I never give up until I know a computer is ready for el garbage!
    https://www.belarc.com/products_belarc_advisor

6. Twiki

Twiki

First Name:
    William
    I used to buy lots of PC stuff at the Goodwill and build em. Then I sell em. That was fun. (y)

I built all my own PCs since the 386 days.

7. lynx1021

lynx1021

If it is a Dell it will have a service tag on it and you can go to the Dell site and input that and it will tell you what it came with.

8. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Of course the PC has to be working if you want to run a program on it !

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!