1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Good software recommendations

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by GetDat, Jul 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. GetDat

GetDat Thread Starter

I'm looking for good antivirus programs that are premium, since I want to spend some cash. Although some free programs are good as well. I'm also looking for programs that are helpful and should be kept on my computer all the time. Some programs can be one use or daily use (spyware blaster/ ccleaner). Stuff such as hijack this, ccleaner, spyware blaster, spybot immunization and etc.

I forgot to mention, if there are any hardware updates I should be doing periodically, such as; modem firmware updates, dvd drive updates, I heard bios somewhere I'm not sure... info,clarification and recommendations welcome.

Regards,
    GetDat

2. Leungwk01

Leungwk01

Its all down to personal opinion on these types of stuff.
    E.g.
    I'd choose ESET smart security & Malwarebytes' Anti-malware
    Kaspersky internet security isn't bad either.

3. GetDat

GetDat Thread Starter

Ya, those are the kinds of posts I'm looking for. Thanks, more recommendations wouldn't hurt either.

4. TOGG

TOGG

Have a look at the February and May 2009 reports here; http://www.av-comparatives.org/comparativesreviews/main-tests

It's difficult to assess what, if any, credibility should be given to 'test' sites such as this, but they at least provide a starting point for your research.

It so happens that I use NOD32 (not the Smart Security program) and the Comodo Internet Security firewall, but not because of anything I read at AV Comparatives or here; http://www.matousec.com/projects/proactive-security-challenge/results.php

There really is no substitute for using trial versions until you find programs that suit you and your computer.

5. GetDat

GetDat Thread Starter

I must admit you gave me some interesting reading to do there, and it was worth it.
    Thanks for that.

6. 1002richards

1002richards Retired Trusted Advisor

Hi,
    On my Vista I settled on Comodo and Avast with all my surfing through Sandboxie having done my research at TechSupportAlert. This site reviews freware but you may still find it useful. Also it's free of adware, pop-ups and other distractions!!
    http://www.techsupportalert.com/pc/security-tools.html

Richard

7. DerekC

DerekC

As for the firmware advice in your post. Personally, I place firmware in the same category as software drivers. I don't update them unless there is specific reason to update, i.e - You are having problems with a game and a solution is to update your video driver, or a bios firmware updates solves a specific problem you are experiencing.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/841273

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice