1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Good Video Card... Not so good computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lilhomie10, Dec 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lilhomie10

lilhomie10 Thread Starter

Hey,

I have about a 5 year old computer i will tell you the specs.

MSI (VIA) MS-6309 v2.0 - Motherboard
    512MB PC133 SDRAM
    850Mhz Intel Celeron - now overclocked to 1Ghz
    40GB Western Digital 5400rpm HDD(now slave) - now with a second 7200 40GB as master
    it came with a (tornado?) video card but i now upgraded to a NVIDIA GeForce FX5200 which is a 256MB AGP 8x card.

I got it because it was at a VERY good price and it out of the packet but my friend builds computers and he got the wrong gfx card so he sold this one to me cheap... my computer is an AGP 4x. I understand i cant upgrade that unless i get a new motherboard. I have drivers that microsoft installed by itself (Nvidia GeForce FX5200 Microsoft Corporation) is it worth going to the nvidia website and upgrading to their drivers? my computer is really old and slow and i want to get the best performance out of this card... I dont think i can run games like Need For Speed Underground 2 can i? because i have a slow processor? i tried to play Halo Trial downloaded from microsoft but it went to the loading screen at the start but then just shut down before it got to the menu.

My point is... what can i do to get maximum performance out of this card but without increasing the startup items too much etc

Thankyou

2. ohheck

ohheck

NV tweaker i use -
    http://www.guru3d.com/nvhardpage/
    can squeeze out a bit more from your card with it but yes you'll be limited by the 850 celeron -
    see if you can put a faster processor into that motherboard maybe? (wont cost you too much $$) - also another 1/2 gig of ram wouldn't hurt

3. frankjohn

frankjohn

Sounds like a mother board upgrade, cpu & power supply. Dont know your existing power supply?

4. lilhomie10

yeh but i dont think i can get much faster with processor because the most i could probobly get is about 1Ghz because i have a socket 370 or watever the real old socket is. I the FSB is 133Mhz what could i get as a CPU for that?

5. frankjohn

frankjohn

What is your budget?$$$

6. lilhomie10

lol nothing at the moment, i cant stand this computer but i have to live with it for at least half a yr, im only young so im saving up and i want to get a dual core computer and just build a completly new comp myself and give this one to my dad coz he just looks on the net and i like to eg... listen to music and browse the net and talk on msn and occasionally burn a cd or dvd while doing so

7. lilhomie10

so... what do u reckon this gfx card is really doing in my comp? is it making it any faster or better in anything?

8. lilhomie10

im not really into overclocking my gfx card because 256MB is good enough for me so that nvtweak wouldnt be worth getting would it? what about proper nvidia drivers rather than microsoft ones?

9. ohheck

ohheck

yeah use the nvidia drivers - and nvhardpage has many more tweaks besides overclocking...
    d/l and see - select the 'enable coolbits' option - you should be able to o/c your card a LITTLE bit without messing it up - did it with my 5900 w/o any problems.

just my experience but I still use these drivers- the only version that has never given me problems:
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_66.93

10. frankjohn

frankjohn

I MY self wouldnt go dual core. I like AMD Most gamers will agree on AMD. If you are not a gamer you can get a Amd athlon xp cache128kb,clock speed 2.08,bus333,appx$98.00 Mother board [Albetron ]Appx $70.00.This is a low end package.$$ AMD Athlon 64 754 socket 1600 MHZ FSB.To run games today you have to have a high end system. Things are changing all the time. By the way look into the PCI express video card. Must have the board with pci xpress slot.GOOD luck

11. lilhomie10

Yeh im definatly gettin a PCI Express but maybe get a SLI but i wouldnt be able to afford a second gfx card soon after i could build this comp... yeh well the dual core i was thinking of getting was the x2 4800+ or 4200+ and that is the low end package times 2 coz its 2.2Ghz per core with a higher cache. I got told to go for nvidia cards over ATI Radeon etc because most games go for them better... im not into games as much but when i get a decent computer i will be... how does amd go for apps like outlook and word and powerpoint?

12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

To answer your question, use the nvida drivers. MS drivers are not made for performance; they are made to be stable in general apps. You will see much better performance in games using the nvidia drivers.

13. lilhomie10

hey! i can run need for speed underground 2 on my comp! ok well i need help with some settings... i have it currently set at 800x600 with level 2 detail... when i use Nos it starts to struggle a bit keeping up a framerate but i think if i turn off streaking when using nos it might speed it up a bit? and if i put it up to 1024x768 would that be better? or slower?

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/422164

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice