1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

good Wi-Fi router that can pick up the newer signals?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by corgwork, Jun 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. corgwork

corgwork Thread Starter

I have a newer smartphone that can get 5G Wi-Fi signals that my regular Wi-Fi router cannot pick up. Looking for a recommendation for a good, secure, ling-range (not extreme long ramge) Wi-Fi router that can pick up the newer signals.

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
  3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I think he means 5Ghz. All new Wireless AC router support the 5Ghz band. Any of the higher end Asus, Netgear, and D-Link routers are very nice. FYI 5Ghz has a shorted range the the older 2.4Ghz but offers less interface and faster speeds. Really depends on how much you want to spend.

corgwork and cwwozniak like this.
  4. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    I love it. We are now using abbreviations (G) to shorten abbreviations (GHz) of the original terms (GigaHertz).

corgwork and 123Zbyniek like this.
  5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Pretty common to see it as just 5G.

6. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
  7. baladio

baladio

I have the TP-Link Archer C7 and it has done a great job with *transmitting* both 2.4 and 5 GHz frequencies. It picks up the signal from an ethernet cord which comes from the modem, so it receives via cord and transmits wirelessly. It's also not very expensive. If you have many wireless devices to connect at once, you may want a higher-end model. 2.4 and 5 GHz each have their advantages and disadvantages. 2.4 is longer range but slower. You may also be able to adjust the strength of the signal to have it go farther or shorter, if you want to reach more areas of your home or yard, or not reach as far as the street, and there are other security things if you want to avoid strangers getting unauthorized access. My C7 model is lacking one feature (I forget what it's called) that helps with having many devices connected, but it's really great for everything I need, and my phone which has 5 GHz wifi gets a really fast speed, and I just connect my computer via ethernet.

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I use a linksys EA7500 dual band router. Very easy to setup and the wireless signal is quite strong; even across the street I can monitor the output from my solar panels [from my phone] My ancient iphone works with the 2.4ghz so the range of the 5ghz has not been tested [by me]

IMO any of the higher end routers from Asus, Dlink, or Linksys should be fine.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
  9. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Wireless performance isn't about blasting a signal the furthest. The only time shooting the hottest signal the furthest is a consideration is when a point to point wireless backhaul is being configured.

When wireless clients are involved, shooting long signal is useless when the typical wireless device doesn't have a strong radio transmitter. People always forget wireless communication is bidirectional. Seeing full bars on your wireless device does not mean a good solid connection. You have to see the connection from the wireless access point to complete the picture.

This is why offices have multiple access point deployed. 2.4 got abused because everyone thought they needed to "out shout" the neighboring 2.4 network. Performance on any wireless network is all about air time fairness. The faster any wireless device (including the access point transmits it's data and gets off the network) the faster the overall performance of the wireless network. Wireless is half duplex and as such nothing can transmit on the wireless network until whoever is currently transmitting is done. This is why a wireless performance degrades when more and more wireless clients are connected to a single AP. APs controlled by a wireless controller and distributed logically in a given space will shift association of wireless clients to other APs based on load and quality of the wireless connection. This is also why more and more SOHO manufacturers are producing multi AP wireless systems.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!