Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Goodbye (maybe) hard drives

893 views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  CarlssonMB 
#1 ·
#3 ·
It will be a long time before FLASH replaces hard disks. Cost, write speed, long term life will all conspire to keep FLASH in specialty markets for some time to come. Do you really want your hard disk to die after 100,000 or even a million write cycles? :D

#4 ·
thiers another link i saw few days ago that uses ram just like ddr we use in our computers now put 4 sticks in i thk held up to 16gigs or somthing and the device makes it static ram can be used as a harddrive. Ram would hold up as good as a normal hd but very costy and low space till they get it tweaked were it could hold alot more ram.

#5 ·
Battery backed memory would make a faster hard disk, but then there's those pesky batteries. Maybe we'll get back to core memory, it was non-volatile. Remember bubble memory, which was another "hard disk replacement" that didn't. :D

#6 ·
ya john power would be a huge problem when you lose it your data is gone forever for any of the ram systems to work they would need a full proof battery backup plan.

#7 ·
Oh I think we will replace hard drives with something solid state possibly in the next couple of years. Something that wont need a battery and wont crash taking your data with it like hard drives. Once the solution goes into mass production the price will go down to compete with hard drives. Remember when 1 meg of memory was over $100 ? :)

#9 ·
The hot new solid state replacement for the HD has been "just around the corner" for most of my life. I'd love to see it.

I, too, remember bubble memory; I even used a system that had it. But other than core memory, there isn't any non-volatile mechanism out there that seems to match the long term reliability of the mechanical hard drive. When you consider the price per bit for a modern HD, it is hard to see what will replace it any time soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.