1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Goofed - Need list of Vista folders & files, etc

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by jharding, Oct 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jharding

jharding Thread Starter

:) I can't believe it happened. It seems that while I was transferring everything from one old computer to another using USB transfer cable and Windows Easy Transfer a family member apparently walked by the computers and unknowingly bumped the USB cable out of the new computer. My Old Drive has a lot more files on it that it did, Almost twice as much space on the HD has been used. In studying it, it seems it may have copied the items onto itself. OUCH. I tried to use Restore, which helped, but not enough.

Possible recovery strategies:
    1) I think If I could get a get a list from somewhere of all folders and files for
    a) Microsoft Office 2003
    b) Microsoft Office 2007
    3) MS Money 2007 Delux
    4)Vista Ultimate

that I could eliminate the unnecessary files by hand and reinstall those progrmas.

2) I could uninstall through control panel the first three. And later reinstall them.
    3) Vista is still working. Perhaps I should leave it alone? Try a Repair Install?
    4) All ideas are welcome.
    Thanks for your help.

2. 1002richards

1002richards Retired Trusted Advisor

3. jharding

jharding Thread Starter

I will take a look thanks.
    Jim

4. jharding

jharding Thread Starter

Easy Duplicate finder is the only one that works with Vista, but I will check the internet also. Thanks
    Jim

5. tech-win

tech-win

Hi,

Do a Search for files with "Creation Date" equal to the date when WET was run. This might list all files (and perhaps the common location to the WET's "cache" folder.) in Search Results.

6. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

You cannot transfer programs by transfering folders anyway, the programs have to be "installed" from the original CD to create all the registry links, which also creates the folders. Any other way and the programs simply will not run.

7. jharding

jharding Thread Starter

Hi,
    I tried to transfer origionally using Acronis but it kept stopping during the backup or copy phase.. Then I used LapLink's transfer cable and software for CPU to CPU transfer but it kept stopping for unknown reason as had the Acronis. I also used a Belkin cable and Windows Easy Transfer (CPU to CPU) and it stopped (thats when the USB cable was dislodged). I understood that the programs would generally need to be reinstalled and do have the program disks needed, but have a lot of professional word files (I am a Psychologist, and wife is a professor ), excel files, IPod files and Pictures (80GB worth). Even backing up to a 1 TB USB WD MyBook these programs often stopped. Just now I believe I may have successfully back up to the USB drive using Norton 360 backup feature. I will check the backup out later this week. Acronis said that it had completed once successfully but when I tried to put it on the new computer it said that the files were corrupt.
    Thanks everyone for all of the ideas and suggestions. I will let everyone know the finale turnout but have to get back to work this week.
    Jim Harding

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/758253

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice