1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Google can't find me

Discussion in 'Web Design & Development' started by island woman, Feb 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. island woman

island woman Thread Starter

I set up my site using the free Yahoo site builder. When I put my URL in the google address bar , it goes to my site. When I put my name in the search bar on the google page, which is where most people will put it, it can't find me.
    Google only finds parts of my name which, combined, point to other sites not mine. Since my domain name is the exact combination of my name, why does google not find me and instead points to sites that are not exact. I am an artist and people will only find me under my name, as all artist are found on the internet. I won't be found under "art", or "artist"
    I thought this would be automatic. I don't want to pay $150 to some on-line site that says it will somehow "put me on the map"
    Help!

2. tj416

tj416

3. Rockn

Rockn

Umm most people winn NOT put your address in the Google search bar. It takes quite a while for search engines to index web sites and you have to submit your site or have reciprical links to your site on others web sites to make it index faster. You should also consider adding meta tags to your web pages coding. It takes a while...sometimes months for sites to get indexed.

4. CoasterFreak

CoasterFreak

First Name:
    Everett
    It generally takes about 2-8 weeks for your URL to be crawled, and thats even if it is. I've noticed google will not add all URLs that are submitted. I finally got google looking at my site, and I often find it indexing my Forums (Googlebot). But it does take some time.

5. Doug Vitale

Doug Vitale

After I updated my site with new keywords and a new meta-description, it was only a matter of days before the Yahoo and MSN search engines crawled and listed my site. Although I submitted my site's URL to Google almost two months ago, it still hasn't indexed my site. I've tried searching for my website with various keywords and phrases, and my site is never among Google's results. With Yahoo and MSN, however, my site is the first result listed. Hurry the hell up, Google.

6. Rockn

Rockn

They are particular about the sites they allow to be indexed so you may never get on there.

7. sle

sle

8. CoasterFreak

CoasterFreak

First Name:
    Everett
    Sorry to bring up an old topic, but I just wanted to give an update on Google. Like RockN said, google is very particular about the sites they index, and it's very hard to get to the top. Sure, I'm in google, on the 3rd page. I've updated meta tags, etc. Type in EJ-Online Google, you'll find me somewhere on the third page. But look for me in MSN, yep, right there at the Top :D Google is a great search engine, but very hard to get into.

9. cnelson04

cnelson04

its not that site itself but how it's coded, thats right if you don't code your site very nice, like if you have code you don't really need goggle will not index you, plus you content needs to be differant then the other 30billon websites, good artical on it here; http://www.pixel2life.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=2406 hope it helps. :) -cnelson

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/326741

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice