1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Google Chrome Crashed, Now Fingerprint Reader No Longer Works

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by the13thbaktun, Jun 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. the13thbaktun

the13thbaktun Thread Starter

Model: HP Pavilion dv7-6c95dx
    Annoyance Level: Extreme

Okay, random weird problem that defies logic. I was busy doing stuff using Google Chrome (logged in on Facebook, trying to browse Newegg, etc.) and I tried logging in to my Newegg account using HP SimplePass, which uses the fingerprint reader technology to log you in to a bunch of different sites. However, this time around, Chrome crashed because HP SimplePass crashed.

I figured it would be best to reboot my system to clear out whatever was going on. However, upon rebooting, I get the "Device driver install yada yada" message that pops up, then it says driver installation failed. Going into device manager reveals that there is an unknown USB device attached (meaning, the fingerprint reader).

I've tried several times to install the driver for the fingerprint reader from HP (which originally had worked just fine). Now, it will not install. No amount of removing the driver and reinstalling it seems to be working, and I'm at my wits end. However, HP SimplePass installs just fine, but since it can't detect the fingerprint reader, it works by remembering typed passwords.

I'd rather NOT have to reinstall Windows if I can help it, but if anyone here has any suggestions that I could try to get this thing to work, that would be great. Thank you!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1057782

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice