Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Google Chrome- google searches default to address bar!

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  plodr 
#1 ·
Okay, so I tried researching solutions to this- it's a problem others have had- but none of the solutions change anything. I have Windows 8.1, when I open a new tab in Chrome, I see the search bar in the middle of the page as always, but when I start typing my search, it immediately goes up to the address bar. Super annoying. PLEASE, if you know what to do, give me a simple step-by-step, not just "go to settings and change xyz." I've tried that........ugh.......thanks to anyone who can help!

#3 ·
I'm sorry, but this is out of the ordinary. When I researched it, many, many people were complaining of the same thing. Typically in a Google search, there is a box in the middle of the page where you enter your search request. I've been using that for years and years on my desktop and my main laptop. This is an alternate laptop while the other one is in the shop. Not being permitted to enter text in that box is as a result of a setting somewhere that I can't seem to get to.

#4 ·
That behavior is by default in Chrome, it's part of the Instant Search/Omnibox/Predictive technologies that Google introduced years ago.

On the new tab page that's not a true Google search but but a custom page and I don't think you can disable that behavior. You can however simply go to www.google.com and and do your searches from there if you don't like this feature. You can also disable some of the Instant Search/Predictive results options in Chrome and Google Search, separate settings although that doesn't apply to the new tab page. You can also get an extension and probably change the new tab page to something else.

Alternatively you can choose not to use Google Chrome, or not use the Google Search Engine.

#5 ·
I'm sorry, but I have four different computers, all using Chrome in the same setup, with the same custom homepage, and I use other computers at my work, and none of them except this laptop have that annoying feature.

#6 ·
This will be a very long drawn out process.
In the address bar type chrome://flags
Unfortunately I can't tell you where to look specifically.
Have a computer that works aside of the computer that does not. Compare the settings.

The easy way, uninstall chrome completely
https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95319?hl=en
then install the latest version, freshly downloaded.

Middle way: create a new user in chrome on the broken computer. If the new user account works, start moving over your bookmarks. Eventually you will remove the broken user account.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.