1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Google Chrome opening up to 20 empty web pages?

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by cuttlefish, Apr 30, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cuttlefish

cuttlefish Thread Starter

First Name:
    Ian
    Out of the blue, when I click on the Chrome icon to open Google, it does bring up the home web page but if I look in Task Manager, there can be any number of home pages from 10 to 20 all being 0% CPU usage and with the expected memory usage.

Going to "Details" in Task manager it shows them as all "running" and just by watching, the number of the Chrome pages jumps all over the place e.g. inc/dec

Priority is set to "Normal"

If I "end task" on each of them, they simply pop back up again ......................?

I've run Malware, antivirus and even Trend Home Visit but nothing shows!

A Google search for this problem brings up many other users all with the same issue but their suggested responses don't do anything to help me fix this annoying issue!

Any help or advice appreciated!

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Chrome does have a few processes that starts up, which is normal.

I noticed when I was switching between tabs, the processes were changing (add/remove, depending on the tab) so it could be the content of the 'webpage' that you are viewing... the tab that I was showing an extra process is the New Tab ...

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
  3. AmyToo

AmyToo

First Name:
    Amy
    Those are processes not web pages, and it's totally normal. That's how Chrome works.

Chrome with no extensions, no logins, and just one open tab will still show several chrome.exe processes.

4. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Yeah I opened Chrome fresh and had about 10 of them opened. When I was on youtube a few more showed up.

If you are not being slowed down at all, there is nothing to be worried about.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1226465

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice