Google Chrome updates

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

LUIS39

I have Vista and use Google Chrome and Google posted the following:

“This computer will soon stop receiving Google Chrome updates because Windows XP and Windows Vista will no longer be supported (by Microsoft).

“Today, we’re announcing the end of Chrome’s support for Windows XP, as well as Windows Vista, and Mac OS X 10.6, 10.7, and 10.8, since these platforms are no longer actively supported by Microsoft and Apple. Starting April 2016, Chrome will continue to function on these platforms but will no longer receive updates and security fixes.

“If you are still on one of these unsupported platforms, we encourage you to move to a newer operating system to ensure that you continue to receive the latest Chrome versions and features.

Posted by Marc Pawliger, Director of Engineering and Early Notifier”

Is this a ruse to scare people to pay for an upgrade?

Thanks

Luis

Triple6

Rob
Well Google doesn't charge money for Chrome and since Google and Microsoft and Apple are competing companies it's also not a ruse for money in that sense either since Google won't make an money on people upgrading to newer versions of Windows or OSX or from buying newer computers.

It's actually because both Windows XP and Vista, and OSX 10.8 and older are obsolete operating systems that no longer actively supported by Microsoft or Apple and most other companies are following suite and are also stopping support, compatibility, and testing of their products on those operating systems.

LUIS39

Well Google doesn't charge money for Chrome and since Google and Microsoft and Apple are competing companies it's also not a ruse for money in that sense either since Google won't make an money on people upgrading to newer versions of Windows or OSX or from buying newer computers.

It's actually because both Windows XP and Vista, and OSX 10.8 and older are obsolete operating systems that no longer actively supported by Microsoft or Apple and most other companies are following suite and are also stopping support, compatibility, and testing of their products on those operating systems.
Should then ignore this. BTW I do not recall ever getting any Google updates, so it's MS that wants to force the upgrades?

DaveA

David
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Google Chrome will do updates many times every day.
It makes money off of the links that you visit and are recorded and tracked.
It appears to be faster as it "caches" a lot of data so it can track your actions.

Triple6

Rob
No, this notification is not from Microsoft, it's from Google. Google Chrome updates itself all the time, by itself.

Well you shouldn't really ignore the message. What you are being told is that your operating system isn't being updated and now your internet browser isn't being updated either. So that leaves you without security patches for both your operating system and your browser. Also leaves you without new features, bug fixes, or other improvements. If you want to stay on Vista and continue to use the internet you can minimize your risk and the risk to others by at least using a supported browser. Mozilla has not announced an end of support for Vista yet so you could switch to that.

For some reason my Windows defender is not present on my computer since the Excede has been installed. Now the Google Chrome is not updated. What do I do?

DaveA

David
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Get rid of any unsupported programs.
Use the older version on of IE or Mozilla.

I would plan on getting a new machine with a newer OS.
If your hardware can run W7 or W10 I would at lease upgrade to them.

Triple6

Rob
I wouldn't any version of IE below 11 either, just as bad if not worse, and Vista is limited to IE9. What is Excede?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online