1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Google desktop search sucks :(

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by OM2, Dec 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. OM2

OM2 Thread Starter

Is it me, or maybe I just don't know how to use Google desktop search

I search for something
    It doesn't find it
    I know it's on my machine what I'm looking for - I know what directory it's in!

Why doesn't google search find it??

OK: so it has to be indexed right??
    If I say a folder or drive should be indexed - does this effect my overhead?
    i.e. does this bring my PC to a grinding halt??

Question: why doesn't it JUST start off with having the whole damn computer indexed??
    If that means making ur PC slow or something - then why is it there in the first place?

Worst of all: I like doing advanced searches - say I want to do a search for all files bigger than 5GB modified in the last 2 months
    How can I do such a search on google desktop search??

I haven't bothered uninstalling - it came installed by default on my machine
    I thought I'd aske here before doing anything

Thanks

OM

2. RaytheBear

RaytheBear

Depending on how much Horse Power your machine has, the indexing should not take that much overhead, maybe when it does it for the first time, but afer that....
    But I believe that there are better Free search programs than this, but I do not remember which, maybe others will come along and give you more suggestions.

Good luck
    Ray

3. OM2

OM2 Thread Starter

ray, thanks for the reply
    the indexing and finding lightining fast is great
    but to be honest, i need the advance search most - and not being able to do that with google desktop search sucks

question: do u know how to use the advance search with the default explorer with google installed?

+ would be interested to hear what the alternative search programs are and whether they are worth having
    (i would have thought though google was king of the jungle and that their prodcut ruled??)

4. kenny111111

kenny111111

hello,

get rid of google desktop (pos) get this free little app called everything you will not believe the speed of this thing !!

http://www.voidtools.com/

good luck

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/970139

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice