Google - disable completion of search terms?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

dougglos

Douglas
I wanted to start using Google for internet searches, but can't find a way to prevent it "guessing" what I am searching for! As soon as I begin to type, it throws up a long list of suggestions as to what I want, and I can't find a way to prevent it doing so. Some help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Build 19041, Installed 20200715004522.000000+060
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-7100 CPU @ 3.90GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 158 Stepping 9, CPU Count: 4
Total Physical RAM: 8 GB
Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 630, 1024 MB
Hard Drives: C: 930 GB (813 GB Free); D: 931 GB (743 GB Free);
Motherboard: Acer Aspire XC-780(KBL), s/n DBB88110017040274530C1
System: American Megatrends Inc., ver ACRSYS - 10000000, s/n DTB8AEK0037070100B3000
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

Couriant

James
If you are using Chrome:

Just open the Chrome menu > Settings > Show advanced settings (at the bottom). Under Privacy, uncheck "Use a prediction service to help complete searches and URLs typed in the address bar."

The website itself it you are not using Chrome will autosuggest.

dougglos

Douglas
When I open the Chrome menu / Settings / Advanced Settings (at the bottom of the page) it does not offer Privacy as an option, so am unable to uncheck your suggested "Use a prediction service, etc. " It only gives "Languages, Downloads, Printing, Accessibility, System and Reset & Cleanup".

Couriant

James
I apologise, I think that was for an older version of Chrome.

Try Settings > Sync and Google Services > Disable Autocomplete Searches and URLs.

dougglos

Douglas
"Disable Autocomplete Searches and URLs" is already in place, i.e. it should prevent these predictions from appearing. In other words, there is no difference if I show it as allowed or disabled by sliding the button!

dougglos

Douglas
Re my latest post (# 5) - have decided to utilise a different search engine, which is functioning correctly, without the unwanted "suggestions" being displayed each time.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online