1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Google Docs and Zip Files?

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Jack1000, Apr 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jack1000

Jack1000 Thread Starter

Hi,

I love Google Docs! And us it as a regular on-line archive. I have a Compressed Zip Folder of all My Documents that I would like to Export to my Google Docs account. The size of the Zip folder file is 48.5 mbs. Obviously, I don't want to click on 100's of files to get them to my Google Docs account. How can I get the Zip folder to Google Docs, so that all of my Documents are a part of this new on-line archive service?

Jack

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

"# Only certain file types can be uploaded:

* For spreadsheets: .xls, .ods, .csv, .tsv, .txt, .tsb
    * For documents: .html, plain text (.txt), Microsoft Word, .rtf
    * For presentations: .ppt, .pps

# There are some file-size limits."

3. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

No way to do it with a Zip file but if you unzip them, you could sync them.
    https://www.docsyncer.com/

And Google has a service to synchronize your documents as well.

4. Squashman

5. Jack1000

Jack1000 Thread Starter

Oh yea,

My issue won't work because I am compressing a bunch of stuff into a Zip Folder. (Word/Word Perfect Docs.) Pictures, and some Ebooks. To help reduce the risk of folder corruption, I will be using this as a back-up folder in addition to my regular folders, which I save to CD Rom regularly.

Several on the Google Docs Forums including me were looking at a one or two click deal to Zip the files and bring them over. But yes, a good reminder from Squashman. You can only import/upload Office data (like Word, Excel, or Powerpoint) files. Open Office, and HTML files work as well. There might be some other files that I am not sure about. What I don't like is that you can't upload PDF files to the server! That's riddiculous! Yet, if you want to Print a Google Doc, it offers it to you in PDF format from Adobe Reader or compatible program.

If you use alternative Word Processing software, for example I often use WordPerfect 12 in addition to Word, you can do a Save As to change WP's file format from wpd. to doc. I have a folder called "My Converted Sent Files" that I save docs in converted from other formats so that Google Docs and external users whom I send to can read them.

Jack

6. Jack1000

Jack1000 Thread Starter

Update,

As I have everything archived on CD-Rom I deleted the Zip folder, but at least will know how to create the folder and follow Google Docs instructions if large batching of files becomes available in this matter.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Jack

PS. Will leave unsolved for the time being, as changes to Google Docs are ongoing, and there might be a Zip Format pertinent to this situation that might be released in the future.

7. Squashman

8. Jack1000

Jack1000 Thread Starter

Great service! Thank you Squashman!

Jack

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/703000

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice