Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Google Docs

Solved 
2K views 36 replies 6 participants last post by  Money Pit 
#1 ·
I am totally shocked to find a LOT of personal information in Google Docs. I have no use for this app. in fact, I never intentionally activated it.
I've searched the web to find out how to delete ALL of these files and none of the suggestions have worked. The only way I can delete these files is one at a time and that would take hours to accomplish.
1. I need a step by step solution as to how to permanently delete the 100's of files, all at once.
2. I need a step by step instructions as to how to disable/stop Google docs from saving any more of these files.

I feel that these files are a huge security risk as some have sensitive information such as passwords and email addresses etc.
HELP: Dave

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Build 19044, Installed 20210312152358.000000-300
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU G3220 @ 3.00GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 60 Stepping 3, CPU Count: 2
Total Physical RAM: 16 GB
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 210, 1024 MB
Hard Drives: C: 232 GB (143 GB Free);
Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. H81M-E, ver Rev X.0x, s/n 140121023701897
System: American Megatrends Inc., ver ALASKA - 1072009, s/n System Serial Number
Antivirus: ZoneAlarm Free Firewall Antivirus, Enabled and Updated

See less See more
#2 ·
Installing Google Drive will install a link in your File Explorer and should be able to remove them just as you would if they are on your computer.

Question is, are these files shared to you? Sounds like you don't intentionally use Google apps, unless you have an android?

#3 · (Edited)
Installing Google Drive will install a link in your File Explorer and should be able to remove them just as you would if they are on your computer.

Question is, are these files shared to you? Sounds like you don't intentionally use Google apps, unless you have an android? No, these files are not shared to me.
No, I don't use Google apps and no I don't have an Android or even a "smart" phone. No need to "sync" anything.
Why are you asking me to install Google Drive?, is it because Google Docs is part of Google Drive?
I've never had total trust in Chrome/Google, it seems to save things in several places which makes me nervous for security reasons, but they are very good.
I need a little a more detailed step by step instruction please.

#5 ·
I may be wrong but I don't believe I said I don't have a google account?, but I do have hundreds of files in Google Docs that I can only remove one at a time, I'd like to delete them all at once AND stop these files accumulating in the future. I'm also angry that Google is hiding/copying these files without my knowledge or consent.

#11 ·
OK, I did some digging. By the nature of GoogleDocs/Sheets/etc, it's all online. However, it may be possible to use Google apps offline, though I cannot confirm if this works to what you need. You will need to use offline mode. I believe in this mode, it will store the files on your device until you turn off the mode.

https://support.google.com/docs/answer/6388102

As to remove more than 1 files at one go, Google Drive would be the only way to do so. You can always remove it when you are done using it.

#15 ·
We are going around in circles.

You still didn't confirm how you are creating the files so I am going by my experience.

GoogleDocs is an online word processor that is part of the Google Apps.
You access GoogleDocs by going online at https://docs.google.com, or by a GoogleDocs icon, which then redirects you to the same website. Android devices like a tablet or phone will have an app on them, but they are all linked to the Google account online.

When you create a document, it automatically stores it in the online storage called GoogleDrive. It will then sync to all devices you have signed into.

It sounds like you think it only stores on your device only, but this is not the case.

I responded to your original question on how to delete more than 1 file at a time, which is to install the Google Drive app which will allow you to see your files and you can delete more than 1 at time, which you cannot do while in GoogleDocs, or GoogleDrive online.

Google Drive does not get installed automatically if you sign in to your account online, you need to manually install it.

I have provided a link that looks like you can use GoogleDocs offline so it should not save it in the online storage.

I don't know how much more I can explain the inner workings of Google Apps here...

#18 ·
Dave,

I've edited a couple of your posts. There's no need to quote everything couriant posts and then type "quote" to quote one line. All you need to do is highlight the area you want to quote with your mouse and once you do that there will be a drop down menu. From that click on the word Reply with the arrow going left and the section you want quoted will appear in the reply text box. Just type your reply after the quote. :)

#27 ·
Somehow, somewhere, something is synching. So somehow, somewhere, you set it up. Libre does not natively synch to Google Docs. You likely did it by accident, I have had customers do similar things.

The thing to remember is this is fixable. That said, it will take digging, but we will noodle it out. Just be as concise as you can in answering.

#28 ·
Thanks for your reply. It is true, I am constantly asked to "sync.", which to my knowledge I've never done. I also should note that Windows Live Mail was also archiving to Google Docs as well, I only switched to Libre Office a couple of months ago. I only found these Doc's by shear accident. I'm the sole user of this PC but all those many documents archived in Google Docs makes me quite nervous from a security standpoint.

#29 ·
Well, if you publish intentionally online (I do) it will synch somewhere.

Next question; do you have a Google account? I do, solely because I have an Android phone.

#30 ·
In your screenshot, click the arrow next to Computers on the left side. This is where folders on your computer that you are syncing/have synced in the past with Google are shown. Curious if there is anything listed there for you. Look under the default My Computer and/or USB Devices/SD Cards folders. If you right click on one of your folder names and select remove, it will remove that folder and all files in it from Google Drive and stop syncing them, but the folder and files will remain on your local computer.

Everything under My Drive there is files/folders that are under a Google Drive folder on your computer. If you never installed a Google Drive app, then you won't have this folder on your computer.

#33 ·
I right clicked on Desktop and found all of my desktop shortcuts listed there. I was concerned that I'd lose all of my shortcuts if I deleted these. After a "test delete", I highlighted them all and deleted them. That worked GREAT!
Now, how do I stop Google from archiving more of these? Thanks: :)

#37 ·
I do t use libre so I cannot say. Check the default save location: Menu/Tools/Options/LIbreoffice/Paths

check anywhere for accounts to make sure you don't have your google account attached to the program.
I really don't think this is an Libre issue because a lot of these archived Docs are made by WLM 2012. I just recently switched to Libre Office.
Check anywhere for accounts? Can you be a bit more specific? Thanks. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.