1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Google Earth Pro Questions

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by BearKiller, Dec 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BearKiller

BearKiller Thread Starter

I had to install Google Earth Pro so as to use the geolocating feature in one of my photo organizing programs.
    I have used plain old Google maps, both flat and satellite, many times; but, this is my first experience with actually having Google Earth installed on a computer; thus, I have a couple of questions.

1. I would like to turn off the extremely annoying horizontal view that automatically occurs when I try to zoom in close.
    I found a switch to turn it off in Tools > Options > Navigation; however, no matter what I have tried, that switch will not respond to my attempts at disabling the feature.
    The switch is not greyed out and appears that it should respond to a simple click, but that has not been the case.
    Added on EDIT: I read several responses to my same question in an internet search and the answer to every one was to do exactly what I have already been trying = turn that switch off.
    Can anyone help me out on this ?

2. I really cannot understand the advantage of having Google Earth installed, as opposed to accessing it via a browser; none of my other geolocating programs have ever required it to be installed; which leads me to this question: With Google Earth Pro physically installed in my machine, can I view various points without an internet connection ?

Thanks for reading and all help is appreciated.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
  2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Load Google Earth Pro.
    Go to Tools - Options - Navigation
    Select "Do not automatically tilt while zooming".
    Click Apply - OK.
    Close and then reload Google Earth Pro.

You should now be able to zoom in as close as possible and still maintain the overhead view.
    I personally use Google Earth Pro, and doing that works fine for me.
    I personally have never used it without an internet connection, but I'm guessing you need to have one.

---------------------------------------------------------------

3. BearKiller

Your input must have scared it into working as I got it to work this time; thanks !

I have another question: When I go to the Google Earth Pro folder in the Start Menu, I have three choices, plain old Start Goggle Earth, Start GE in DirectX mode, and Start GE in OpenGL mode; when and why should I choose either of the three options ?

Thanks again.

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    When I install Google Earth Pro 7.3.2.5495, it places a shortcut icon on the desktop.
    That's how I load it.

According to the graphics mode in mine, it's using "OpenGL".

Capture.JPG

---------------------------------------------------------------

5. BearKiller

I haven't messed with any of that stuff; it is still at the installer's settings.
    The curious thing is, when I just looked in options, mine is set for DirectX.
    I wonder what the difference is and how one choice or the other would do differently.

Thanks again.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1220217

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice