1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

google earth

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Brigham, Jan 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Brigham

Brigham Thread Starter

Dell Dimension 5150 1VHS02J

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    According to service tag number 1VHS02J, here is the support site that's specific to your Dell Dimension 5150/E510 desktop.

You should add and save this site in your browser favorites/bookmarks list so you can readily refer to it when needed.

According to its system configuration section, it came with ATI Radeon X300 SE graphics with 128 MB of video memory, but it doesn't advise if it's integrated graphics or a video card.

It appears to have a PCI Express x16 slot for a video card.

It appears to have a 305 watt power supply.

-------------------------------------------------------

3. Brigham

Brigham Thread Starter

Thank you Flavallee. I will attempt to scan my computer at this website. It is getting on for midnight so I will have to go to bed soon, but I will let you know what happens.

4. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Yep. You're 5 hours later there than it is here. Have a good sleep.

---------------------------------------------------------------

If that desktop does have integrated graphics, adding a 256 - 512 MB video card will give it better graphics ability.

----------------------------------------------------------------

5. SJ2571

SJ2571

The screen going black sounds like a video driver issue. Have you tried updating both Google Earth AND you graphics card driver? Once you've done that, try again.

BTW, just because the screen is black, doesn't mean you always have to reboot. Try hitting the Windows key, or pressing Alt+Tab, and you might just switch from the black screen back to the desktop. Black does not always mean the PC has crashed.

6. Brigham

Brigham Thread Starter

I have spent hours trying to run a scan that would tell me if my computer was up to date etc. I have downloaded 25 updates which have appeared on my desktop. Google earth now just stops and produces this message "404 The requested URL /intl//tips/v5/tip.html was not found on this server That is all we know" Rather peculiar I thought. I don't know if these downloaded updates are installed or are just sitting on the desktop. SJ2571. I did try the windows key, but Alt+Tab is new to me. I will try it.

7. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    You downloaded 25 updates from where?

------------------------------------------------------------

8. Brigham

Brigham Thread Starter

Updates from Dell support website.

9. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    You can prevent your desktop from getting cluttered with downloaded files by doing one simple thing - creating a Downloads folder on the desktop and then directing all your downloads to be saved there.

If you downloaded and saved those files on the desktop and didn't do anything else with them, you haven't installed any of them.

You need to be careful about which files you actually need and download from the Dell support site.

I think you need some ''hands on" help by a computer-knowledgeable person.

10. Brigham

Brigham Thread Starter

I have put all the downloads into two new files. How do I get hands on help?

11. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    You don't have a computer-knowledgeable friend or family member who can help you?

There's only so much that we can do from here because we're not there to see your computer.

12. Brigham

Brigham Thread Starter

My computer won't start at all now. I am contacting you on my laptop. The power button is flashing on and off and the monitor is saying "No input signal"

13. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    You didn't say if the power light is blinking green or blinking amber.

Here is what the Dell support site shows for the different power lights.
    (Click the thumbnail to enlarge it so you can read it)

Attached Files:

14. Brigham

Brigham Thread Starter

The computer has come back on. I am so relieved. I have all these downloaded files that were either recommended or urgent, according to Dell. They have names but don't tell me what they do. Not being able to use google earth is a small price to pay for having a working computer, so perhaps I should leave it alone, you never know, maybe it will right itself as did the computer. What do you think?

15. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    You really need to stop messing around with that computer, especially when you're not sure what you're doing.

It's not worth winding up with a non-working computer because of Google Earth.

----------------------------------------------------------

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1086394

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice