Google home

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Jamesoliver

Can I connect my Google Home speaker using my iPhone’s personal hotspot? My work email is unsecured and google home will not allow me to use it

What does your work email has to do with Google Home? I don't remember it asking for it. And what do you mean by 'work email is unsecured' - it doesn't have a password ?

What do you want to do with the Google Home?

Its purpose in life is to turn things on and off, that is also on the same network.

If all you want to do is be a speaker, then just get a Bluetooth speaker.

Jamesoliver

What do you want to do with the Google Home?

Its purpose in life is to turn things on and off, that is also on the same network.

If all you want to do is be a speaker, then just get a Bluetooth speaker.
Work Wi-Fi I did not mean to type email

Jamesoliver

Can I connect my Google Home speaker using my iPhone’s personal hotspot? My work email is unsecured and google home will not allow me to use it
Sorry all I meant to say work Wi-Fi
What does your work email has to do with Google Home? I don't remember it asking for it. And what do you mean by 'work email is unsecured' - it doesn't have a password ?
First off I meant to say Wi-Fi not email and I want to use the hey google for customers that want to hear music or ask questions about cars or whatever as a fun side thing

Sorry all I meant to say work Wi-Fi

First off I meant to say Wi-Fi not email and I want to use the hey google for customers that want to hear music or ask questions about cars or whatever as a fun side thing
Yes, Google Home doesn't care what wi-fi connection it has.

Tell your company IT admin that the guest Wi-Fi also needs to be secured with a password. The receptionist can give out the password if customers want to use it. Open networks where anyone from far away can connect to out of sight is a problem. Wi-Fi WPA2 encryption has been proven broken academically, and is just waiting for attacks. Sooner or later some hacker will make a kit for it and attacks will be popularized. We're waiting for the next version of Wi-Fi encryption. But having no password means no protection at all. Some consumer routers are also security broken, and can be taken over. ( I have one, cost $90, and it was hacked; so it is just gathering dust now ) A password-less Wi-Fi just gives them an easy way in.

Last edited:

Jamesoliver

Tell your company IT admin that the guest Wi-Fi also needs to be secured with a password. The receptionist can give out the password if customers want to use it. Open networks where anyone from far away can connect to out of sight is a problem. Wi-Fi WPA2 encryption has been proven broken academically, and is just waiting for attacks. Sooner or later some hacker will make a kit for it and attacks will be popularized. We're waiting for the next version of Wi-Fi encryption. But having no password means no protection at all. Some consumer routers are also security broken, and can be taken over. ( I have one, cost $90, and it was hacked; so it is just gathering dust now ) A password-less Wi-Fi just gives them an easy way in.
Ok thanks

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online