1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Google keeps files on your PC even when uninstalled - Proof

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by James321, Jan 31, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. James321

James321 Thread Starter

I recently had reason to use Google Chrome as a browser as a one off (I usually use Firefox).

Having finished using the browser and uninstalling it, I discovered that Google keeps files on your PC even after it (supposedly) has been completely uninstalled.

Running CCleaner after Google Chrome had been uninstalled revealed that Google Chrome Internet Cache contained 37 files of 800KB, Google Chrome Internet History contained 5 files of 235KB and Google Chrome Cookies 13 files of 24KB. (See screenshot)

But what is Google Chrome Internet Cache, Internet History and Cookies still doing on my computer, I uninstalled Google Chrome?

Google.jpg

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    The uninstaller probably only removes files that were originally installed. The files you mention were probably created by Google Chrome when you ran it. They would be considered user created files by the uninstaller and left on the computer.

3. James321

James321 Thread Starter

You used the word 'probably' twice.

Even though it is a technical point I would beg to differ. I think Google probably creates (or should I say 'steals') cached memory sectors on your disk on install but then fails to give them back on uninstall.

I mean it's ridiculous. How can a cleaner like CCleaner empty Google History and Cookies after the browser has already been completely uninstalled?

Surely it's not asking too much to delete and remove these cached memory sectors as well on uninstall? What's the problem?

4. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
    I'll use the 'probably' too.
    Data is probably kept to facilitate a smooth re-install or update at a future time.
    Thus it's not really part of the original install.
    I've seen many other apps, retain files and folders in the same manner after an uninstall.

Perhaps it's why file cleaners like CC exist.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
  5. James321

James321 Thread Starter

You missed the point I made. Google has still cached disk space and CCleaner has only emptied the cached space of its contents. It has not removed the cached space itself.

6. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
    Your whole hard drive is a potential cashe space.
    It's only what the app puts there that exists 'where ever'( cashe space).
    When 'where ever' is deleted.....it's gone. Nothing reserved . Ready for new data.

7. James321

James321 Thread Starter

When an app creates cached space it is saying this space is now private property and only this app can use it. However the app no longer has my permission to say this as I have now uninstalled it. So the cache by rights should be removed.

8. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
    Unless I'm mistaken, you removed that folder (space) when CC deleted it.

If it's being recreated, you probably have a different problem.

9. James321

James321 Thread Starter

No. It only emptied the folder of its contents. It didn't remove the folder itself.

The disk space is still cached (i.e. not free) since it is reserved for use by Google.

10. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
    That could even be a registry issue where the uninstall didn't remove everything listed in the registry to be deleted and a folder is reproduced. Empty folders use insignificant space on a hard drive.

Personally, if files aren't being generated, I would let it go.
    Editing the registry is best left to those expert at it.

Have you ever used a registry cleaner/optimizer, like the option in CC?
    They have been known to create issues.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
  11. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    It's not just google chrome. Use a real Uninstaller like Revo Uninstaller or Geek Uninstaller.

Real example: I "uninstalled" Java on an XP computer. I used add/remove programs and followed this up by JavaRA, which was supposed to remove Java. After using those two, I ran Revo uninstaller. There were 2,230 entries in the registry that I worked through to remove using Revo .

I no longer ever use add/remove programs. I always use a real uninstaller that culls through the registry as well.

Johnny b likes this.
  12. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
    I found an even better solution :D

And it's not MS ;)

13. snuffleufflegus

snuffleufflegus

Remove the folder manually.Problem solved.No more cached space.
    You will 90% of the time always find remnants of a program/software after an uninstall.It does no harm.
    If it bothers you that much,just delete the leftover entries.
    I use RevoUninstaller,Everything Search,and Regscanner by nirsoft to completely remove all remnants of leftover files etc.. from my computer (If necessary)..

14. snuffleufflegus

snuffleufflegus

Just to emphasize on my above statement...
    Although Revo Unistaller removes all remnants of files/folders..etc,it does NOT remove all registry entries as Regscanner has proven to me.However,it is the best uninstaller.I usually leave registry entries alone unless they are causing issues.
    Regscanner is a manual scanner.It will find ANYTHING,but you remove the entries manually.(for those of you who feel brave).
    Everything search is a tiny powerfull little app that replaces the built in windows search.Very fast and handy.One ofmy favorite tools for finding leftover files and folders.

15. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
    About the only left overs that I have considered addressing because of space issues were large Delorme data sets left behind after an uninstall. Easy to manually delete.

But the MS registry. That I learned the hard way not to mess with without expert instructions for a specific correction, and there were few of those over the last almost 20 years of using a MS operating system.
    A back up of the registry is a wise idea if a user is going to edit the registry.
    The default 'Restore' function can re-do a registry if you haven't bricked the computer.
    There are apps to backup the registry.

A drive image is always a wise consideration.
    Probably one of the best general fixes because you make one of a system you know works, prior to messing it up.

To practicality:
    https://www.quora.com/Why-does-an-empty-folder-have-zero-bytes-on-Windows
    So, the question: why bother about something insignificant that is natural and common?
    After uninstalling, and deleting files, that 'reserved space' has a size of 0 and nothing to fill it with anymore. It's just irrelevant MS 'bookkeeping'. A folder still 'on the books' ( MFT ) with out a purpose taking up no space on the hard drive.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1222534

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice