1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Google Not Working in Windows XP

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by poulinb, Feb 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. poulinb

poulinb Thread Starter

I am running Google Chrome on Windows XP Pro. The browser works well in general, but I am unable to access any Google site (the search engine, gmail, etc). Please advise.

2. Rearden

Rearden Banned

You have Chrome installed, but you cannot access www.google.com? Does it work with Internet Explorer, Firefox, or Opera? What error are you seeing?

3. poulinb

poulinb Thread Starter

On the Chrome start-up page, if I click on any of the icons (for Gmail, GoogleDocs, etc), I get a message saying that the app is currently unreachable. If i type in the URL, I get the following error message:

--------------
    This webpage is not available
    The webpage at https://www.google.com/ might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new web address.
    Error 2 (net::ERR_FAILED): Unknown error.
    ---------------

It's not a problem with the website because I can access it on other computers/devices. With regards to other web browsers, IE wasn't running well at all on this machine so I took it off. I don't have other browsers installed currently and while I am able to download files, whenever I try to open a newly downloaded application in order to install it (such as Firefox and Opera, both of which I just tried), I am unable to open successfully.

Thank you.

4. Rearden

Rearden Banned

Internet Explorer cannot be removed from Windows. How did you remove it? Why can you not install other browsers (Firefox, Opera, Safari)?

Are you able to get to other websites with Chrome besides Google, Gmail, and other Google-owned sites?

5. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

Browse to:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc

Click on hosts.

Choose Notepad from the list of programs to open the file with.

Copy the content and paste it into your next reply.

6. poulinb

poulinb Thread Starter

RE: Rearden
    I tried to remove IE using add/remove programs in the control panel. It seems to have removed part but not all of it. I don't know why I am unable to install other browsers at present. I am also unable to open other newly downloaded applications. Chrome is working for all other websites I have tried.

RE: Phantom010

# Copyright (c) 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
    #
    # This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
    #
    # This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
    # entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
    # be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
    # The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
    # space.
    #
    # Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
    # lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
    #
    # For example:
    #
    # 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
    # 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

127.0.0.1 localhost

7. poulinb

poulinb Thread Starter

If this helps, I just discovered that this problem does not exist when logged into the "Guest" profile, only on the "Administrator" profile.

8. Rearden

Rearden Banned

When you uninstall Internet Explorer through Add/Remove Programs, it doesn't get uninstalled. It reverts to a previous version.

I'm wondering what happens when you try to install other browsers. Do you get an error message?

If you can get to www.google.com in another profile, then that means there's a problem with the Administrator profile. You could create a new account and use that. I'm not sure how else to fix the problem.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1090853

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice