1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Google offers free e-mail service

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Reviews' started by Schnitzu, Apr 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Schnitzu

Schnitzu Thread Starter

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20040401.gtgoogapr1/BNStory/Technology/

MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif. — Google Inc. is introducing a free e-mail service to send a blunt message — the maker of the world's most popular on-line search engine is pulling off the gloves in its clash with high-tech heavyweights Yahoo! Inc. and Microsoft Inc.

The company unleashed the latest blow in a fierce fight for Web supremacy late Wednesday by promising to deliver 250 to 500 times more storage space than the market-leading e-mail services provided by Yahoo and Microsoft's Hotmail.

But there's a catch to the e-mail. Hoping to turn a profit from the service — dubbed Gmail — privately held Google has programmed its computers to dissect the topics being discussed in the e-mails and then deliver text-based ads related to the subjects.

For instance, an e-mail from one friend to another discussing an upcoming concert might prompt Google to include an advertising link from a ticketing agency.

"I don't think [the ads] will be annoying at all," Google co-founder Larry Page said during an interview Wednesday. "We think this will give us a business model that will work and allow us to provide a high-quality service."

Mr. Page said Gmail shouldn't raise serious privacy concerns because Google plans to closely guard the content of the e-mail messages. Ads are unlikely to accompany most e-mails, he said.

Gmail will offer 1 gigabyte of storage space, roughly 500,000 pages of e-mail. Gmail users will be able to receive up to 10 megabytes in a single e-mail — more than the free services of Yahoo and Microsoft's Hotmail allow to be stored in an entire mailbox.

Yahoo offers up to 4 megabytes of free e-mail storage while Hotmail provides 2 megabytes of free storage. Both services charge for additional space.

Gmail also will enable its users to type a keyword into a built-in search box to find information contained in their e-mailboxes within a matter of seconds.

For now, Mountain View, Calif.-based Google is only opening up the service to invited users but expects to make it accessible to everyone within a few weeks, Page said. People interested in signing up for an e-mail account are being encouraged to register at www.gmail.com.

Google's e-mail expansion is likely to escalate its mounting competition with Sunnyvale, Calif.-based Yahoo and Redmond, Wash.-based Microsoft.

While those two giants have been revving up their own search technology, Google has recently unveiled a series of improvements to protect its turf.

By offering e-mail, Google is now invading a space dominated by Yahoo and Microsoft's Hotmail.

Yahoo has 52.6 million unique users per month in the United States, according to a February survey by on-line research firm comScore Media Metrix. Hotmail is next, with 45.4 million users. AOL has 40.2 million users, but they pay monthly subscriptions.

Officials at Yahoo and Microsoft's Hotmail division declined to comment on Google's entry into the new category.

Google had been testing its e-mail service for about a year internally before deciding to offer it to the general public.

"We think e-mail is one of those things that is not as useful and as well organized as it should be," Mr. Page said. "People have been asking us to do this for a long time."

2. hewee

hewee

Wow you get a lot os space but your get spam in every email too.
    I will say away from it.

3. Davey7549

Davey7549

Hewee
    I am not so sure you should quickly discount GMail because of the Spam associated with it. The Spam is a Vertical Navigational bar basically the same as you normally get with Google searches showing to the right of the results or in this case the E-Mail message. As far as Privacy...... I do not see a problem with having a computer scan for Keywords or Key Phrases for pertinent ad generation. These ad's are textual by nature and are not the pop-up or pop-in variety. I believe the benefit of space allocated, search capability, and the ability to sending very large E-Mails overcomes the drawbacks.
    My suggestion to people would be do not use Gmail for your personal primary E-Mail address for family and friend communication which in most cases would not be forwarded but use it for generic send a funny pic or joke or for solicitation of information. In other words any communication that you would not expect total privacy.

What do others think of Gmail?
    http://gmail.google.com/gmail/help/about.html

Dave

4. valley

valley

well, I like the idea of it keeping every email you have ever gotten, rather than having to file them away yourself. I've wanted to have a second look at an email long after the fact only to find out that it was deleted, never to be seen again.

I signed up for future updates and hope to try it out when it becomes available to the public. I love google in general. I am looking forward to seeing if the email is as impressive.

5. hewee

hewee

Yea good point Davey and I think what you said would be true.

6. Davey7549

Davey7549

I see a few special interest groups are jumping on the band wagon of erosion of privacy! This seems to be a falsehood since we all know the scan will be totally mechanical and I have yet to see a machine that can think, reason, interpret, and draw a cognitive solution.
    Don't mention Big Blue and the chess match since that is a exception to artificial intelligence and is only as good as its programmer was.

What does bother me though is the statement of Residual after deletion or canceling the account.
    I think that needs further explaination as to why they need that info after item is deleted or account withdrawn. If it is for geographical info fine, retrieve it and delete the info.
    If not then why keep it?

Dave

7. RSM123

RSM123

FWIW (And I realise that ain't much)

Google is on a massive commercial drive to establish itself in the internet market, in much the same way MS has in the OS / Software market. It was announced some months ago that the Google display ads would be dispensed with (the ones you sometimes see in boxes on the right side of a results page.) These ads would instead be integrated into the body of the search itself. Needless to say that would imply '$$$' was being allowed to influence the results of any search.

Until recently a Google search resulted in pages of information being displayed in accordance with the principle of 'how many other sites linked to the site in question'. Google is ending this practice and shifting emphasis to the new method where 'paid ads will receive due prominence'

In purely financial terms you cannot fault them for this move. Providing an internet search engine is not a charitable act - they want to get revenue from this .. but it does help contextualise their move into the email industry.

Their offer of 1GB of storage is certainly generous in contrast to the amount of space offered by Hotmail and Yahoo - however it is first and foremost designed to lure users away from those two services. Thus increasing dependence on / trust in Google as the start point for many novice surfers.

Just bear the above in mind when you you avail yourselves of this offer.

I do not think that anyone who seriously required confidentiality for their emails would use this service - so for those who do, use approprite encryption - for the rest, ignore the revenue generating ads and make the most of GMail. Until Uncle Bill develops a credible alteranative.

8. michael_jii

michael_jii

looks good to me, i'm going to ditch hotmail for it....

michael :D

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/216574

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice