Google Redirects, SpySweeper damaged, 'Cannot Access' HJT

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

SpiralP

Last week my computer at work (Windows XP Professional, SP3) started to redirect me to random sites/ads whenever I tried to do a Google search. I can go to a web site directly if I type in the address, but the google links are completely random.

At the same time this started happening, my Spy Sweeper detected some kind of virus, but the actual name of the virus did not appear so I just clicked 'Select All' and 'Quarantine'. This action caused Spy Sweeper to shut down with the error: "This installation has been damaged. Please reinstall product." (103)

I conversed with Webroot tech support for a few days, but they can't help me because I think this virus is blocking me from sending them any log files to analyze. They told me that they suspect this error 103 is caused by a Max Payne virus aka malware known as Mal/Crot-A. I uninstalled/re-installed Spy Sweeper and got the same message. So I uninstalled it again and left it at that...

I also have Symantec Anti-Virus on my computer and I've run many scans, but it has not picked up anything.

I just tried the free version of Malwarebytes and HijackThis - both seemed to download ok but when I try to run scans this error appears: "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item."

I don't really know what to do and need an expert's help since I know nothing about this kind of stuff.

SpiralP

It's been a couple of weeks and still no reply. I would really just like to know where to start. Tried to run HJT from a USB flash drive and it looks like it scans for a second then disappears.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online