1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Google (search engines): updating results?

Discussion in 'Web Design & Development' started by Zenoxio, Feb 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Zenoxio

Zenoxio Thread Starter

I run a website which used to be located at iyg.arthmoor.com, but I recently bought a domain (biyg.org) for it. I'd like all traffic to go to the new domain. For some reason, Google results contains both addresses now. If you Google for "inuyasha galaxy" you will find that the the link (first result) leads to the subdomain (incorrect). But if you Google for something like "bleached", the link (6th result) leads to the domain (correct). How can I have it so Google updates and only uses the domain from now on? I think it has to do with getting the searchbots to change to the domain, maybe by using robots.txt or something. Any ideas?
    (Note: The subdomain and domain go to the same place)

2. knight_47

knight_47

I think it just takes time for the new domain to get indexed, and the old one should be dropped, because it is no longer in use.

Have you created a sitemap and submitted it to google?

3. Zenoxio

Zenoxio Thread Starter

Well... when I said "recently" I meant half a year ago. Does it really take that long to have the new domain indexed?

And no, I don't think I submitted a site map.

4. knight_47

knight_47

It might even take more, depending on how 'important' your site is. The more visitors it gets the more important it is, thus getting indexed faster. Other tips would be to submit a sitemap to google via this link: https://www.google.com/webmasters/sitemaps/

I can create a sitemap for your site, i'll do that when I get home, and you can submit it to google, hopefully this will speeds the indexing up. Another good thing that helps is getting a lot of links to your site from other websites. This tells google that your site is important, and also helps crawl your site faster.

5. Zenoxio

Zenoxio Thread Starter

Interesting enough, I was looking over that last week. I had no idea how to do a sitemap though, so I left it for later. That's be great if you could help me create a sitemap. Thanks.

I think I get a decent amount of links to the site, I have a PageRank of 3.

6. knight_47

knight_47

7. Zenoxio

Zenoxio Thread Starter

Shouldn't that reference the domain though, and not the subdomain (I want the subdomain "gone" and the domain to be replacing it)

8. knight_47

knight_47

what's the URL to your site? i used the one in your profile here.

9. Zenoxio

Zenoxio Thread Starter

10. knight_47

knight_47

11. Zenoxio

Zenoxio Thread Starter

Thanks!

With sitemaps, are there sections that are suppose to be left out? Because in that link, I don't see the Downloads page anywhere. I also see certain forum topics are in there, which I don't think should be done..?

12. knight_47

knight_47

The downloads page is in there.

The forum topics that are in there, that shouldn't be, say for example, their only accessible for only special members, you don't need to worry about those, google will not index password protected files.

13. Zenoxio

Zenoxio Thread Starter

14. knight_47

knight_47

What exactly do you mean? Do you want that not indexed?

If you don't want that indexed, I think there is some code that will block googles spiders to a certain page, but i'm not sure on that.

15. Zenoxio

Zenoxio Thread Starter

I think Google was reporting a timeout in the crawl index for that, so yeah probably should block it from going to that link.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/544473

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice