1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

google search not working

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by cmois006, Jul 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cmois006

cmois006 Thread Starter

Hello I have an issue with my computer. Everytime i go on google.com and type something on the search bar and click enter, no results populate the page is just blank. This happens on both my internet explorer and google chrome browser. I looked online for some solutions which include changing my proxy settings which worked but once I restart my computer the same issue occurs. The second time when i tried to use the same method of changing my proxy settings from google setting under proxy settings/connections it was grayed out and on the bottom of the window it says "some settings are managed by your system administrator". I looked for further solutions online and a few worked through changing my settings under registry editor but once again when I restart my computer the issue comes back. The only thing that has worked for me not is going to my registry editor and changing the binary code from 0 to 1 under proxysettingsperuser. It allows me to use google search but i have to do this every time I turn on or rest my computer. An other issue I noticed is that sometimes my cursor moves slowly and does not respond smoothly with the mouse pad. I have done a virus scan with hitmanpro and it detected some issues and resolved them but the two issues with google search and the cursor is still there. Please someone help me :(

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

You have been hacked.

This is evident in that the 2nd time you try the google proxy settings fix it shows "managed by your system administrator". This will never happen unless you use the Chrome policy managment tool. And the attacker was responding to your first fix and took care that it does not work again. By changing the registry it will work temporarily but the policy managemnt tool will take effect and override again.

Then your cursor moves slowly. This is an indication that a remote access tool (RAT) is accessing and controlling your computer. It could be that you have installed a background running program that always runs and takes up processing time. But taken together with the above "managed by your system administrator" symptom, you are definitely being hacked.

Backup only your data, no program files; no setup programs. Reinstall Windows by downloading the MS Media Creation Tool on another PC, run it to Generate a Windows setup DVD or USB memory stick. Boot the hacked computer with it and choose Custom install, erasing all partitions, then let setup continue using unallocated space.

Then if you wish, consult the do it yourself link below in my signature area to harden your Windows to prevent an attack again. The process takes about 6 hours to secure your Windows.

3. cmois006

cmois006 Thread Starter

Okay thank you! I will do this. A friend told me to just do a factory reset would that not solve the issue?

4. lunarlander

lunarlander

A 'factory reset' brings back a non current version of Windows, which would be missing security fixes present in the newest version of Windows 10. Windows 10 upgrades twice per year. If you use the MS Media Creation Tool to generate a Windows setup, it will be the latest one.

5. Heuchera

Heuchera

May I suggest that you try the search engine DuckDuckGo.com? It doesn't track you. I've been using it for quite a few years and it has grown and performs quite well.
    Unfortunately Google tracks nearly everything you do as indicated when I use the NoScript add-on in Firefox and note the VERY LONG list of Google data mining sites that track my surfing.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1230404

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice