Google Talk System Requirement

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

joyt

Hi,
I've been using Google Talk to make phone calls since 2010, although the quality of the calls were usually so-so at best (Static, gaps in conversation, etc). Most people I know who use it are happy with theirs. Upgrading the connection speed didn't help, either. Since it's time to buy a new PC, could anyone tell me what system requirement options i should choose in order to optimize the call quality?
Thank you!
Joy

joyt

That's news to me! I'm still able to make phone calls.

Hangouts gets terrible reviews... sigh... :(

Thank you.

TonyB25

Banned
Static? That's an analog problem. Digital either transmits or doesn't. VoIP call quality is determined by the internet connection speed and quality. A brand new super-fast computer won't transmit bits over the wire any faster than your ISP allows.

joyt

On my end, I occasionally hear static; however, long stretches of silence are what the people I talk to say is the worst problem on their end. Since I get 5 green bars from Comcast, the VoIP call quality should be good, I'd think.

This is so frustrating! :mad:

Thank you

As was mentioned large download speeds don't mean you can get high quality results. Packet loss, Jitter and Latency come into play.

For Latency:

High latency will be noticed on voice calls through delays in conversation and periods of silence. In addition, web pages may load more slowly.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online