1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Google to Open Source the VP8 Codec

Discussion in 'Tech-Related News' started by Mumbodog, Apr 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mumbodog

Mumbodog Thread Starter

http://newteevee.com/2010/04/12/google-to-open-source-vp8-for-html5-video/

2. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

This might be enough to give Chrome an advantage for the average user if they release the codec, and push "upgrade to Chrome for a faster Youtube experience".

Microsoft will likely chase Chrome at that point to slow Chrome adoption... Apple, who knows.

3. tomdkat

tomdkat Retired Trusted Advisor

These kinds of fights really frustrate me. I get the H.264 licensing issues. I imagine Firefox would get some kind of extension to bridge the H.264 gap, if necessary. If VP8 can really compete with H.264, that might change the landscape quite a bit. Something tells me H.264 will win out since it's so popular with those doing video encoding. H.264 is recommended for "best results" on YouTube as well.

HTML5 is neat and hopefully Microsoft will support it adequately in IE9.

Peace...

4. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

A nice thing about Open Source... it can improved by anyone with programming knowledge, a good codec based on VP8 could easily be made by anyone (Google could even improve the format before releasing it as OS), and it can take off as fast as major sites like the Google own Youtube want it to.

5. tomdkat

Yep. We'll see if making VP8 open source helps it better compete with H.264. Open source technologies that work well make life a lot easier for those of us on platforms with less market penetration than Windows. :)

Peace...

6. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

Ubuntu User ;)

I use Windows and Linux, and Open Source is actually a great benefit to both, even my Blackberry gets to benefit from alot of great, free and open software! I hardly have to buy anything, when their are cross platform version of OS available for most anything!

7. tomdkat

Yep, that be me. :) I've been fortunate in that I've been able to do pretty well with an almost exclusive open source software based computing environment. I do use some closed source apps but I haven't purchased software for my system in years. :)

Peace...

8. Mumbodog

Mumbodog Thread Starter

9. tomdkat

Thanks for the link. VP8 looks pretty good in the demo shot in that article.

I disagree with this:

That's just not true but VP8 could certainly take over the embedded video role Flash is currently serving.

Overall, I'm getting excited about VP8 being open source. :)

Peace...

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/916530

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice