1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Google ToolBar Search Box at Top of Screen disappeared

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by nemoryer, Jan 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nemoryer

nemoryer Thread Starter

Is there an easy fix to this please? I have Windows XP. I used to take it for granted, but now that it's gone, I miss it so much. Now I have to actually go to www.google.com to google anything. That box was very handy and convenient and was always constant on my screen, up until yesterday. Wonder what happened.

I hope it just temporarily hiding. :)

Wondering if that also has anything to do with gmail. I still have old gmail and have not switched to chrome. I wonder if that is the problem?

If there is an easy fix, please advise. If not, I am not computer-literate.

Thank you very very much for all your help, past and present.

2. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

Is Internet Explorer your browser?

Are you simply referring to the Google search engine, which can be added through Internet Explorer's Manage Add-ons window?

Tools > Internet Options > Manage Add-ons > Search Providers

3. nemoryer

nemoryer Thread Starter

Yes, Internet Explorer is my browser.

I went to tools, etc..... says that Google is "enabled" So why it disappeared I don't know and wish I knew how to get it back.

it's my google search box on top of my screen. It was there all the time, now it's gone. Thanks.

4. Phantom010

Are you seeing another search provider now instead?

What if you click on the following drop-down menu arrow? Can you see Google?

[​IMG]

5. nemoryer

nemoryer Thread Starter

Ooooh, I see the problem now. Thanks to the picture on your last reply with the inverted green arrows.

It jumped out of place and is now aligned with my "file" "Edit" View" tool bar. How weird is that.

I don't know how to get it back underneath that bar/line.

I'll try to drag it down if I can but am afraid to make every move now because I also get that annoying "Internet Script" warning sign. Ughhh. Nothing but headaches today.

Thank you. Thank you.

6. nemoryer

nemoryer Thread Starter

I can't seem to drag it underneath.

7. nemoryer

nemoryer Thread Starter

Am trying to drag only that section down but the whole page is moving.

8. Phantom010

Where do you want it exactly? Like in the screenshot or somewhere else? You should lock your toolbars after moving everything in place.

9. Phantom010

Are toolbars locked already?

10. nemoryer

nemoryer Thread Starter

Where I want it is where it'd always been.

I want it back towards the left of my screen, directly underneath the box that says "File" "Edit" View"

Now that space is empty with a gray x on the left side and the rest is gray empty space.

As I see it now, it is aligned with the box that says http:/forums, techguys......

I don't know about locking toolbars.

11. Phantom010

To unlock the toolbars, in order to move them, you need to right-click an empty space inside your toolbars. Then, untick "Lock the Toolbars".

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1085348

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice