Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Google Toolbar

868 views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  XP-1800 
#1 ·
I use (the latest version) of the Google Toolbar.
I noticed my hard drive going into a frenzy (this has happened before) for a bit while I was typing an email. Although I am on cable BB, I was not running I.E.6, only O.E.
I checked my firewall to see if something was talking to the 'net' and found that Google was transmitting............what I don't know....:)
Attached is a pic.................is the Toolbar spyware............is Google phoning home to report where I have been etc....??
Should I be worried.......??................:D

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
I will add that some people do indeed that the latest Google toolbar is spyware. It will auot-update itself without your knowledge or permission. And, it does gather data to "help Google" to be more effective. So, I do think it is 'phoning home'. The folks on the SpywareInfo forum are unhappy with the latest moves by Google. Read this post.

I don't use the toolbar, but I love the search engine. I've read that it has a great popup blocker too.

#5 ·
Phew.....what service on this forum...........very quick replies....:D
I don't use the advanced options, and only run it with the 'search web' button enable. I use PopUpCop to deal with 'pop ups'.
It is not on the firewall list of prog's either allowed/blocked/ask list, and only showed up on the 'active list'...............sneaky so and so....:)
I haven't run a scan with Norton for a week or so, so perhaps I should do so.........will check updates first.
I use 'SpySweeper' and nothing shows up on the scan. Perhaps I will install 'Adaware +Spybot' and see what they come up with.
I think I might dump the toolbar.............pity because I find it very usefull, as I don't like stuff phoning home without me knowing about it.................no wonder my games sometimes chug a bit when the hard drive kicks in, which must have been Google.
Thanks very much for the very quick replies............:)

#7 ·
Now that looks very handy BillC................I am getting now and will give it a go.
Thanks very much for your interest mate...:)

#8 ·
Whoops....seems no good for me as I use Win XP Pro.
Thanks anyway.

#9 ·
Oh and BillC.......thanks for the link.............interesting read.
I hate stuff that sneaks on to the net to do whatever without me being able to control what is happening.
I manually update my various prog's as I don't want them kicking in when I am playing a game and screwing up my fun by sending my hard drived into a frenzy....:)

#10 ·
Originally posted by XP-1800:
Phew.....what service on this forum...........very quick replies....:D
It is not on the firewall list of prog's either allowed/blocked/ask list, and only showed up on the 'active list'...............sneaky so and so....:)
I would change your firewall to one that tells you when an application, rather than a program wants to access.

It sounds like armor can't distinguish between a browser addin and the browser itself

BTW, I have also answered you at Karl's and given you some tips about the IP number listed it is a Tiscali number and I don't think you are still using them so I assume it's a hacker connecting to you

I assume you will use your usual remedy (FD:D)

#11 ·
Nice to see a friendly face again dvk01...............didn't know you know me in here......:)
I have given up a bit seeking help in K.F. as I don't seem to get a lot of sensible replies.................unlike here where all the members are always helpful and offer lots of advice.
Armor2net (my FW) didn't cough up a box asking if I wanted to allow Google to access the 'net' so I knew nothing about it until I decided to check and found that it was listening/active. It seemed to be pretty good on everything else with the usual allow/block/ask for anything that wanted access................but Google sneaked by.......:)
I am now trying McAfee Pers FW Plus v5................it got passed ok at shields up.
I have since uninstalled the Google toolbar as I don't like its sneaky tactics, but will still use the search engine by using the page stored in 'favorites'.
Thanks for your help mate and will check out your replies in K.F. where I am the Baron.........:D

#13 ·
If you read the disclaimer prior to installing the Google toolbar you will see that it actually does transmit your queries and browsing habits amoung other things to Google. They say it is to make the service better, but I would like to know exactly what they get and how they use it.

"Google may collect information about web pages that you are viewing when the advanced functionality is enabled. However, this advanced functionality is optional, and can be easily disabled and re-enabled at any time (by selecting "Privacy Information..." in the Toolbar's "Google" menu.)"

"Periodically, the Google Toolbar contacts our servers to see if you are running the most current version. If necessary, we will automatically provide you with the latest update to the Google Toolbar"

#14 ·
Thanks Rockn and dvk01.

"Periodically, the Google Toolbar contacts our servers to see if you are running the most current version. If necessary, we will automatically provide you with the latest update to the Google Toolbar"
And that must be when my HDD went into a frenzy of activity for a bit and made my game chug which I can do without......:)

I chose the toolbar without any fancy options enabled and just showing the 'search web' window which I found very usefull.
I don't want a prog to be having a natter with its homebase when I don't want it to.
Anyway, I've uninstalled it now.
The info posted by BillC in his post is worth a read and decided to get rid of it.
Thanks again all for your help and advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.