Solved Google Voice number for Facebook two factor authentication

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

lf1

Can a Google Voice number be used for Facebook two factor authentication's SMS option?

lf1

What happens if you try to use a Google Voice number?

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I don't use Google Voice but it seems to have SMS capability for free within US and Canada so it may be possible.

If you have a smart phone, use an app like Duo Mobile or Google Authentication instead. You will get codes just like you get from SMS.

Here is a picture.

AmyToo

Amy
I don't use Google Voice but it seems to have SMS capability for free within US and Canada so it may be possible.

If you have a smart phone, use an app like Duo Mobile or Google Authentication instead. You will get codes just like you get from SMS.

Here is a picture.
I use Google Voice, and that's how I know you can't use the number as a 2nd factor for text messages with Facebook.

Just because it's a phone number doesn't mean it works with all text messaging systems.

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I use Google Voice, and that's how I know you can't use the number as a 2nd factor for text messages with Facebook.

Just because it's a phone number doesn't mean it works with all text messaging systems.
Good to know! (y) So for this case, an 2 factor app will need to be used instead.

I suggest using an Authenticator, Google has one. No need for text messages, and afaik no need to put your phone number on Facebook.

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I suggest using an Authenticator, Google has one. No need for text messages, and afaik no need to put your phone number on Facebook.
Not for the 2FA authentication, but for signing in you can.

LF1, if this question is solved, please mark is as so on the top.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online