1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Goosed motherboard?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MickL, Apr 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MickL

MickL Thread Starter

I think my motherboard is goosed/fried - hopefully someone can help besfore I burst into tears!!!!!:(

Heres the situation......

My ususal hardware set-up is as follows:

I've got 3 hard drives installed; 1x120gb SATA for the operating system (XP pro), 1x60gb IDE for all of my standard data (Word docs etc) & 1x80gb IDE for 'entertainment' (where I rip my music to for my ipod & storing photographs).

A couple of days ago I got a read/write error to the 'entertainment' drive as I was trying to play some music. I then tried to open a file from my 'data' drive but got a message saying that the disk structure was corrupt & unreadable.

I've spent the last couple of days trying to access the two IDE drive but to no avail so initially assumed that both had failed at the same time :mad:

Today I've tried to access a floppy disk in my PC but getting no joy with that - I don't get anything, not even the 'click' that a floppy drive usually makes as it starts.

I've checked to see if it was a PSU issue (by using a brand new PSU that I've got) but it doesn't appear to be.

I've also checked to see if its a hardware problem with the floppy drive by using a floppy that 100% works & get the same 'non-event'.

I've changed all the ribbon cables between the motherboard & the 2 IDE drives & the floppy and am now getting frustrated!

When I enter BIOS, it recognises that the SATA, IDE & floppy drives are connected.

The SATA drive works persectly (enabling me to submit this post).

Because of the situation that I've just discovered with the floppy drive I was wondering if the two IDE drives are still ok (fingers crossed as there are some precious files on them) and that its a problem with the motherboard (ASUS K8V-MX).

Has anyone any views?

2. Flags

Flags

Since you have no trouble using the SATA drive, I can't see the motherboard being bad. Unless, of course, the IDE controller is gone.
    Check Device Manager for any yellow ? beside any devices, indicating that drivers for that particular device is missing or corrupt.

3. MickL

MickL Thread Starter

Hi Flags - no yellow question marks appear in Device Manager, everything appears ok (although I've removed the IDE hard drives as a precaution).

The fact that no floppy drive works (even a working one from another PC) still seems to lead me to believe that its a motherboard issue.

4. Flags

Flags

Try this. Go to Device Manager and Right click on IDE Controlers>uninstall. Reboot. Windows will find new hardware and reinstall them. Sometimes it works.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/700895

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice