1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Got a free HP dv6000, but it has multiple issues

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GeforceGT210, Dec 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. GeforceGT210

GeforceGT210 Thread Starter

I got a free HP dv6000 from my uncle, but it has a lot of problems.

1. The monitor doesn't work (works when hooked up to an external)
    2. The keyboard doesn't work (works when hooked up to an external)
    3. Mouse doesn't work (works when hooked up to external)
    4. The system WILL NOT boot to any type of Windows/Ubuntu CD, or load CDs at all for that matter (I can hear it spinning though)
    5. The system WILL NOT boot to windows, it will try and then say "Operating system not found"
    6. Sometimes the system won't boot at all and will beep 3 times.
    7. The system makes horrendously loud scratching/clicking sounds

What in the world is wrong with this laptop?

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I've edited your thread for language, please keep the forums rules in mind when posting.

Does this model have an AMD processor? If so its trash. HP DV2000, DV6000, and DV9000 models with AMD processors experienced massive motherboard failures and other component failures. Pretty much everything broke on those units.

3. fishtails

fishtails

Triple6 could very well be right. Is there anything on the screen during POST or do you see an HP Invent logo? I would try hitting function & F4 during boot to get out of the docked situation it seems to be in. Also try hitting Escape repeatedly during boot - that could bring up the recovery screen. The noise could be something stuck in the fan. If you're willing to risk 10 or 15 dollars, order the recovery disks for the machine from HP - but be forewarned I just went through two different sets on my daughters laptop and finally got it working by stopping the FBI Manager from running and then doing a restore point creation and then a restore from that restore point - rebooted and all I had to do then was driver installs. HP has a way to go with the recovery disk toolset. Her laptop was suffering from a black screen problem that is probably related to the overheating problem that is very well known by HP and Nvidea and I tried making recovery disks when it was brand new to no avail, so good luck with it. I've bought three HP's and all have had problems. It's Dell from now on!

4. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    If its the motherboard forget it. Its probably going to cost more than the computer is worth.All you can do is hope the harddrive is good and save it and recycle the rest of it for any usable parts.The poor computer sounds like its had it.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1032330

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice