1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Got a new external HD, need advice...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by stratostever, Jan 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. stratostever

stratostever Thread Starter

Hello. I just got a new HD My Book Essential 250 GB external hard drive since my computer's memory was down to its last 5 GB. I need some advice on where to go from here. So far I backed up all my music, videos, and whatnot, but I still need to free up some memory on my main hard drive. Would it be better to back up everything, format my hard drive and start fresh or just delete everything I've backed up and run all those things on my external hard drive (my main concern being if I should trust the external hard drive with this responsibility). All this is backed up on my ipod as well. Sorry if this is a vague question; it's just something I've put off doing for so long and have no experience with this kind of thing. Thanks for all of your time.

Steve

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I would never install software to run from an external hard disk.

Another point. If you copy files from your internal disk to the external disk, then delete the originals, they are not "backed up". You have just moved your only copy of the files to a new location where they can easily be lost. Backup implies a copy of data, not the only copy of the data.

3. ace_coffee

ace_coffee

The only way to free up the storage space is to start deleting. If it were me, I'd delete the music and videos that were just backed up. Then I would run a defrag on the C drive.

4. stratostever

stratostever Thread Starter

Although I should have a drive just as a backup, my primary reason for getting this was to free up memory since I was down to my last 5 % available memory. And I had no intention of installing their software.

So just delete all the stuff I've backed, then redirect all my music to the new drive through itunes (I hope there's an easier way to do that other than each one individually)?

5. bigbear

bigbear

I would also consider getting a larger internal drive (you dont say how large you original is)
    Use the new drive as addittional pc space and use the external drive as backup

6. rockerbruce

rockerbruce

Like someone said earlier I would move all the music/videos on your main drive to the external. Just have iTunes do a library search on the external drive after to get it back in your library. If you have a decent amount of music/videos on your main drive like I used to (50+gb) that should free a good amount of space after the transfer.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/537991

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice