1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Got an AthlonXP-1800 with DDR coming soon :-)

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by hewee, Nov 11, 2001.

Advertisement
  1. hewee

hewee Thread Starter

Got an AthlonXP-1800 with DDR

See here.
    http://kingmicro.com/sales6.html

Got another case with 350W plus 3 COM US Robotics 56K V.90 Modem
    and a zip 250.
    With no Windows because I will get Windows 98SE free from my sister.
    That saved $75.00 there.

He has it made and with test it out for 6 days so it will be a next week before I get it to play.

With tax it was $1250.00

2. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

Congrats.... sounds like a terrific system...
    Was looking at one very similiar before I bid at uBid.com
    Now Im in limbo, just waiting for them to process my order... its been 1 week today & they've done nothing yet. *sigh*...

Savvy

3. hewee

hewee Thread Starter

Thank you.
    I sure am hoping it's a good system and stays that way.
    So why is it in limbo so long?
    What about the monitor?

4. Mulderator

Mulderator

But the question is do you have high speed internet access? Depending on what you do with the computer, you may be better off spending your money on broadband internet access. For those that spend a lot of time on the Internet, speed and performance will be dictated primarily by your internet connection. I could take a Pentium 233 with MMX technology with a high speed connection and blow away any other system no matter how fast or expensive working on dial up!!! Keep that in mind when budgeting your computing dollars!!!

5. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

I have cable but its an HP Pavilion Pentium II Intel/Celeron 300mHz ...
    Im out of HD too.

Thats why I was getting a new one.... Have to wait & see now what happens. As you saw in my post... in the forum about data... I have received the monitor today but the PC was cancelled.

Savvy :(

6. hewee

hewee Thread Starter

Mulder,

Yes I will be getting ATT high speed internet access. Then I will dump the slow ATT high speed internet access for the new cable in town when it comes out here. But that will be 2 years. It's a 100 times faster then ATT cable.
    We are the first in the USA to get this and I hope it work out so we can all have it.

See http://www.thekcrachannel.com/sac/news/localnews/stories/news-localnews-101166920011010-221034.html

That will be 1000 times faster then the 28 k modem I have now.:D

But because of the new cable in town they are having deals with ATT cable.

Will I pay cash for every thing so that keeps the cost down because there are no loans to pay off.

But do have one more big buy that I can't wait to get and that is the Wacom table.
    http://wacom.com/productinfo/intuos.cfm

Will get the 9x12.

SavvyLady,

Will I hope you get the PC still.

So we can do speed test.:D

Will blow you socks off. he he

Kidding there.
    Don't really know because this is the only PC I have ever used so I don't know what a fast PC is even like. I will be happy if all the image programs run good and my old Dos game Descent games.

7. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

hewee anything has to be faster than what im on... I scored 85 or was it 86 on that test in they posted in the forum the other day. pitiful

Savvy

8. deuce

deuce

wow... you still play descent? I do too! I thought nobody played that anymore. And yes, a fast computer is really nice, especially if you have spent all your life on a slow one. (like me... and that is going from my 133Mhz all the way back to the 4Khz... I think it was that speed... I don't remember what it was, I was too young to really make good use of it)

56Mbs... I must say, that is unbelievable... just incredible. The last I heard was around last year when I was reading about this 2.1 Mbs service in the New York area, and last year that was the fastest around. I guess my 586kbs is getting a little slow. Man, that 56Mbs must be pretty expensive... It would truely be something to use though... By the time it comes to the rest of the Greater Sacramento area, I will be living back in Minneasota so I hope it comes there soon. After I finish graduate school, I will be living back home in Chicago and I'm sure it will be there by then. I'm pretty sure they have the 2.1Mbs stuff by now.

I must congradulate you on that though... you also will get to be one of the first ones to test it out...upen her up, so to speak...

9. Toddles18

Toddles18

Hey Savvylady I got some bad news for you, your going to be in limbo for a while yet, at least in my experience. I bought my computer off Ubid and it took almost a full month to get it.

10. hewee

hewee Thread Starter

SavvyLady,

Well only joking about the speed test you know.

deuce_mn,

You bet I play descent still.
    I have descent I and II and will get III now that I will be able to play it.

Plus I have about 2500 add on levels.
    I still need to go back some day and get all the descent I add on levels.

I sure hope that new cable makes it out where I am. I am on the edge and at the end so not many homes out here so the cost to bring a line out here for just a hand full of homes may put me on the very very end of the list.
    Lets hope the company makes money so that they grow and the new cable will start growing all over the US.
    I played on a PC that was online that had a T1 line and man was it fast and this new cable is faster. The T1 line was so fast that if you blinked you would no see the page load. I went to sites that I knew were very show and they came up just like that.

Well I got my new PC setting here wait for me to set it up.
    I don't have to load Windows like I was thinking because he had it all set up and running to show it to me when I went to pick it up. Said before if I don't buy a OS he would just delete it all but he did not. So I still have to get 98SE from my sister.

Well with just the Windows on the PC I really can't see how fast it yet.

Sister put Partition Magic 6 on it yesterday and showed me how to make drive Partition and made just a D: drive because she had to go so I need to finish.
    But thought I ask all of you about making Partitions.
    That is what sizes would be good for the C: drive etc. It's a 40 GB drive and sister made the C: drive 10 GB showing me how Partition Magic works.
    Was thinking of putting on Windows 2000 Pro but that may be months away. Like to have maybe 6 Partitions. I like to install every thing on other drives so only the OS is on the C: and D: if and went I get it. So what would be a good Partition size for each OS so I will never run out of space without making it way bigger then I need if I install every thing else on the other Partitions.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/58218

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice