1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Got DDoSed a few days ago, new IP, new modem, not staying connected?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by CoDApril, Nov 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CoDApril

CoDApril Thread Starter

My friend is a gamer and streams his games live online. Of course there are going to be the jealous kids, and someone DDoSed him, when I had him change his mac address to get a new IP, it's almost like it would save and not keep the change, his modem started to powercycle. He went to Comcast yesterday and got a new modem like I told him to, because it would do this even hard wired. Did not work so they actually came to his house today and replaced some things and left, he is still experiencing this issue, he has a new modem and he can only stay connected for 1-2 minutes and he just keeps disconnecting.

He has been in this house for 3 months now and has not had a problem until he got DDoSed, this is not related to his IP, and no, they are not still hitting him offline, I have tried everything I can think of, having him do a virus scan atm, any suggestions?

Thanks so much!

2. helpful

helpful

How did you know he was DDoS attacked? Did you check the router logs?

3. CoDApril

CoDApril Thread Starter

It's really easy to tell actually. Kids join session, grab his IP with cain and abel, use shell booters to hit him offline, happened to me by the same group of kids when I streamed, it's quite annoying. It's easy to hit a streamer offline though, a large amount of their bandwidth is taken up by the stream.

Oh and it doesn't help when they post your IP in the chat and say offline, then boom, there ya go :p

4. helpful

helpful

Well, I dont have any advice for you, other than you could broadcast from a host server, proxy that would prevent disclosure of your ip and the internet pipes would be much greater on their network.

They would probably have better equipment as well to respond to the attack.

5. CoDApril

CoDApril Thread Starter

It is from JTV, and there is no way to prevent it, even running on a VPN, like I said, I know everything about DDoSing and all of that. I am just trying to help my friend out to see if anyone knows what is wrong with the internet.

6. CoDApril

CoDApril Thread Starter

It isn't showing your reply on here, but I see it in my email, they join session and pull it on Xbox. That is totally irrelevant to what I am asking though :p

7. helpful

helpful

Here are some examples I was referring too... pricey but these solutions are really for the enterprise

http://www.staminus.net/
    http://www.serverorigin.com/ethproxy-ddos-mitigation/ethproxylite-ddos-mitigation

However, even connecting to a free vpn/proxy If he connects through a large proxy or vpn... the DDoS will have to pass through that network first.... the vpn service is more likely to cope with the attack then your residential line.

Oh btw Justin.Tv the disclose of your ip is from the chat (according to destinity experience he posted when he was ddos on justin.tv), so again using a proxy will hide your identity on chat and prevent them from discovering your ip.

8. CoDApril

CoDApril Thread Starter

You cannot use a VPN when you stream, it slows your connection too much, trust me we have been through this.

9. helpful

helpful

Well if you cant cloak all connections, then you need to find and cloak the connection in which your ip is being discovered.

If it truly chat try installing firefox with tor and use that browser to actually chat on the stream.

If its through xbox well that's more difficult with the latency and im not sure if it supports vpn.

if its through the stream well you have to switch providers. maybe try ustream instead?

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!