1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Got Mandrake 10.....now what?

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by Omega_Shadow, Sep 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Omega_Shadow

Omega_Shadow Thread Starter

Took me the better part of a month but Mandrake 10 is installed on my computer and all my OS's are playing together nicely (well not nicely I guess, WindowsXP and Win2KPro still won't talk to Mandrake. I think it's a jelasy thing :D )

I have learned the basics of the Linux file/folder structure, some simple console commands and have even learned how to change important settings (root, I think it's called)

I don't know where to go from here. So far I just boot into Mandrake, look around abit and then go to one of my Windows OS's. I need a project or somthing that requires alot of experimentation so that I can learn more about this powerful OS. Any suggestions?

2. brindle

brindle

As far as windoz being jealous yes it is and will not recognize a linux partition

3. 5mi11er

5mi11er

Ah, but if linux were running SAMBA, then the windoze boxen wouldn't know the partitions were linux. Course in order to run the Win2k box at the same time as Linux, you'd need something like vmware, then that windows "box" could just become another X-window under linux.

So, what type of actual productive (or not) work are you doing under windows? Your next real step is to start figuring out how to do them under linux instead. You can play with any OS for a long time, but until you start doing "real" work, it will always just be a toy.

-Scott

4. saikee

saikee

I am not sure what you are after but if you want to boot XP and Win2k then have a look at my reply to "Dual boot not happening".
    If you are already dual booting XP and Win2k using Windows own bootloader then it may get complicated, otherwise it should be plain sailing.

Here is a thread with a Grub boot menu on a bunch of Linux booting 3 Xps from 3 hard drives.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/273496

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice