1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Got My Computer Built~! Now Need Help!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BML, Jan 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BML

BML Thread Starter

First off, I did it!!! i actually BUILT my own computer and it RUNS!
    It did not blow up or melt on the initial power-up! No major problems, only a few little issues that hopefully I can resolve soon! I am running a GA-7DX powered by a XP1600 CPU with 256 mb DDR RAM & 40gb HD. Oh yeah, got it all inside a nice Antec case too.

The biggest problem now is no audio at all. Can you guys help me? The M/B has the creative 5880 (i think) and under bios the sound chip is "enabled". Speakers are plugged into the appropriate connector. Windows XP is configured to use that Creative Sound Blaster so I assume it recognizes it as being there? I installed drivers for it from the gigabyte CD instead of the generic windows drivers. Windows is saying there is no problem with my hardware.

Am I supposed to install an actual CARD for the audio or is it all onboard with the ga-7dx board?

Oh, I have been very aware of the need for cooling with this chip. I think I'm doing ok. I love the BIOS health monitor! Hmmmmm......my cpu temp is around 117f.

Bruce
    hehehe...gotta change that signature now!

2. Brooks

Brooks Guest

A couple of things I can think of to check.

Here are the latest drivers for your board.
    http://www.giga-byte.com/support/d_audio.htm#ct5880

Is the internal cable connected to the ports correctly?

If these are all in there, you could uninstall the sound in device manager and reboot and see if windows loads the default drivers.

3. BML

BML Thread Starter

Which one would that be? That may be the problem. The only cable I saw was analog out from CD to the motherboard; had to put it into "aux in" because the only cable I had from my old comp was too short to reach the "cd line in".

I don't see any other kind of connection where I'd put a wire. What should I look for?

4. brianF

brianF

5. Brooks

Brooks Guest

I looked at the online manual and that one does not need internal connectors, so that is good. Some boards have the sound connectors in slots in a different location. I was thinking that yours might have been one of them.

6. BML

BML Thread Starter

I went to Gigabytes website and downloaded new drivers, but when I went to install it I got a message says:

VIA AC97 audio chip is not enabled on this system.

So I went to BIOS and it was enabled! Under "integrated peripherals" there is "sound chip" and it says "enabled" also "AC97 codecs" are "enabled".

somehow the system is not recognizing it.

Now, i took the modem/sound card out of my old system and installed it (PCI bus) and guess what? it works. However, I really want to figure out why the GA-7DX's onboard audio does not work.

7. BML

BML Thread Starter

I can't believe it! There IS sound!

This morning a thought just hit me. I'm hooking up the Hewlett Packard Speakers to this motherboard; and when I hook them up to the Hewlett Packard Sound Card they work. So I went and grabbed some headphones w/ mini plug end, and plugged it into the GA-7DX's Line Out......and there is sound! Then I looked at my old speakers, plugged them back in and held it up to my ear, and I COULD HEAR sound in them, just barely and only one speaker. In the HP setup the two mini plug connectors went into a little adaptor where only one plug came out to go to the card.

Now it appears that perhaps these old speakers are not powered because they were meant to run off a sound card and in this arrangement I need amplified speakers....does that sound logical?

8. Lurker1

Lurker1

Hi BML

Yes some of the old sound card had amplifiers built into them for unpowered speakers. I would get some powered speakers for you new PC. You can get a better set that should sound better too.

9. Chris A

Chris A

10. BML

BML Thread Starter

The new speakers i bought work great! i didn't realize that the old ones were un-amplified speakers.

I also got the old H/D to slave off the new one; most of my issues are working out. My new system runs fine!!!!

Only a couple things left. i still don't know why the fans don't shut off when it enters sleep. There's no heat being generated during sleep, is there? Someone told me that it still is "hot" and all the fans must work. But my old HP system would go silent as if it was off....when it was only asleep.

11. brianF

brianF

check in your bios for fan options, under acpm, probably a way to enable shuting them off in suspend.

Don't know if I would do it with todays chips, but up to you.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65444

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice