1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Got my Mobo Replaced....

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DDC, Apr 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DDC

DDC Thread Starter

Hello. Just recently I got my motherboard replaced. Now when I start up it is not detecting my CD-ROM drive. It did this when i furst put my rig together and I had to re-install windows. Do I have to do this again (I really woudn't like to). Or is there a way to do it with out reformatting?

Operating System is Windows XP, I upgraded from Windows 98 SE.

Thanks

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

After replacing the motherboard, you had no trouble booting into XP????

If so, congrats, that is a first. Hate to ask it, but since you were inside the computer, is the cdrom plugged in ;)

3. Tumbleweed36

Tumbleweed36

Might be worth a double check of jumpers and cables. Just a reiminder here:

Make sure you have the master and slave jumpers setup correctly on your hard drives. The jumper schematic is usually displayed on the top of the drive.

DO NOT mix the master and slave settings. For Example, do not mix Master and Cable Select on the same ribbon cable. If one is Master the other must be slave. If one is Cable Select, the other should also be Cable Select. (Please note that the majority of hard drives are factory default as Cable Select)

One needs also to make sure the drive is placed correctly on the ribbon cable as shown below:

M
    O
    T
    H ==Ribbon Cable=== Slave ===Master (end of cable)
    E
    R ..................................„» OR „º
    B
    O == Ribbon Cable==Cable Select==Cable Select (end of cable)
    A ..............................( as Slave)……. ( as Master)
    R
    D

Oh, also remember that the floppy cable red mark is put on opposite as the regular hard drivers. Otherwise, the red mark faces away from you as you work in the case.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    AcaCandy''s right. Thats the first place to start; check that the CD-ROM has its power and data connected and that the data cable is conencted to the motherboard. Also make sure that the red strip on the IDE cable is going to pin 1 on the motherbaoprd and next to the power connector on the drive itself. Also see if its set on Master(preferred) or Cable Select(doesn't always work right). Next check the BIOS to make sure the Secondary IDE is enabled and that is set to AUTO or CD-ROM - usually theres an AUTODETECT option to detect your drives. Finally in Windows check Device Manager to see if it appears there.

5. DDC

DDC Thread Starter

Okay on the master/slave thing. I have a S-ATA HD that is showing up fine. I have ASUS cables connecting the CD-ROM to the Mobo. I have three colors of plugs on these cables, grey, black, and blue. On mobo (asus p4p800 deluxe) I have 2 possible spots that that can go in, one is blue, and one is black. So with my cables like this, and my motherboard set up like that, what color of 40 pin ( i think) connecter should be connected to my CD-ROM, and what should me connected to my mobo.

Here is my problem if it's not a question of just getting the cables right. Last time I needed to re-install window98 SE because there was no way to get the CD Driver installed, without using the CD that came with the Drive. And since it was not detecting my CD-ROM drive, i had no way of installing it.

Anyways, thanks for the help in-so-far.

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Make sure the CD-ROM is connected to the regular Primary or Secondary IDE port on the motherboard. Your board also has two RAID IDE controllers, do not use these. Check your motherboard manual to see which ports are which.

7. DDC

DDC Thread Starter

Okay the CD-ROM is connected to the motherboard in the IDE (not RAID port, checked the manual) port. I'm going to restard, plug them back in, and see if it does anything.

8. cnclathrop

cnclathrop

did you go into your cmos and make sure that it is reading your cdrom correctly it might be turned off on the ide channel you are using if it is a newer cdrom I believe win xp will just use a standard atapi driver for it which I think is load with winxp catalog.

9. DDC

DDC Thread Starter

Still nothing, everything in the BIOS is set to auto detect. I didn't really understand the last post. is there a way to get the Driver without the Windows CD?

Thanks.

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Drivers such as those for CD-ROMS are installed with XP, you do not need the CD for this. You can and should go to the ASUS website and download the Intel Chipset INF and Intel Application Accelerator and install those. These are required for proper operastion of the motherboard and devices.

11. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Can you boot with a boot disk with cdrom support and access the drive? I'm assuming the tray opens and closes?

12. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Howdy folks...

FYI...

DDC...

The way these colors are connected are also important ( although may not be the problem)...

Blue: The blue connector attaches to the host (motherboard or controller).

Gray: The gray connector is in the middle of the cable, and goes to any slave (device 1) drive if present on the channel.

Black: The black connector is at the opposite end from the host connector and goes to the master drive (device 0), or a single drive if only one is used.

Heres some reading on why these need to be connected this way...

http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/ide/confCable80-c.html

13. DDC

DDC Thread Starter

Well I've decided to just reformat and install Windows 98, that always recognized the CD-ROM right off. Then upgrade to XP (because thats all i have, don't have the full install).

It did this exact same thing, like i said, when i first installed Windows 98 a few months back, what it took was to reformat and install.

One more thing though, could it be there is something wrong with the CD-ROM Drive? Because right now it wont open. Shoudn't it still open even though nothing is recognizing it?

Thanks.

14. DDC

DDC Thread Starter

Any thoughts on the last question in my previous post?

15. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

If it has power it should open, try power down, unplug the ribbon cable leave the power, and see if it will open...

Did you check to make sure that the cable connectors was connected correctly ?

Blue: The blue connector attaches to the host (motherboard or controller).

Gray: The gray connector is in the middle of the cable, and goes to any slave (device 1) drive if present on the channel.

Black: The black connector is at the opposite end from the host connector and goes to the master drive (device 0), or a single drive if only one is used.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/217496

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice