1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Got those Lantronix KVM over IP blues...

Discussion in 'Networking' started by doutommy, Jan 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. doutommy

doutommy Thread Starter

I am renting a server from a datacenter and decided to save some money and install windows 2008 r2 enterprise edition myself to save some money by not having to rent the server software monthly. Got the server software legit for a very good price too.

I have run servers before, all 3 (OS X, Windows, Linux), but I have never before installed remotely via a kvm over ip switch.

The problem I am having is that I cannot get the virtual drive to mount. I swear I have tried everything but I get no joy. I'm not gonna get any help from the host without an hourly fee so i am trying to figure this out myself. I am by no means a system or networking expert, I just figure things out as I go and ask a lot of questions. But I do have some experience here.

So, here is the panel I need to deal with:

http://clandou.com/lan.jpg

TBH, I suspect I am just entering something in wrong here.

First, after I fire up the java console I try to mount my actual DVD drive but the KVM kicks it. That seemed to me to be the better solution but it just won't work.

So looking at the picture above and working on the right side on the window, I am trying to get it to accept my disc image.

As the fields go, the the first I put in my local computers ip address. In the second field named "share name" I put in my computer name. It is unclear if this is correct or matters. In the next field I have tried every combo / style of path I can think of but nothing works (if this is the problem). Then the last 2 fields I leave blank as I don't think a user / pass is necessary as I set the files in windows share to everyone.

On my computer I have a folder on the desktop called sm and in that folder I have an .iso file called ABC.ISO

Again, being unclear about if the ivm wants a folder or a file to start, i tried both.

Setting them both with windows share (first time windows share user here) windows gave me the following info,

For the folder: sm (file://BEAST-PC/Users/Beast/Desktop/sm)

For the .iso file: ABC.ISO (file://BEAST-PC/Users/Beast/Desktop/sm/ABC.ISO)

I have tried every combination I can think of but I just cannot get the ivm to accept the image. BTW, ripped the image myself, it is good. After typing everything in I always get:

Lantronix SLS

Accessing the image file failed.

After 4 days here I am, unable to go further.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. I am hoping to get this installed before the host takes the kvm switch back. :) It's just a loaner to get the os installed.

TIA for any help. Hopefully someone here has used this switch before.

Tommy

P.S. Just built a new PC, as the name suggests, it is beast.

2. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Do you know what server you are renting? Was the Lantronix provided by the provider or you? I suspect the server is a newer generation server and thus would have out of band capabilities which would work better than the Lantronix. If it's an HP server, HP servers have iLO (Insight Lights Out) management. If it's a Dell server, it'll have iDRAC (Dell Remote Access Controller). I've done more work with recent generation Dell servers. The iDRAC integration is head and shoulders above what an external device can provide. I have been able to do a full VMware installation via an iso file on my desktop onto a Dell blade server without having to be physically at the server.

If these out of band management options are not available to you, I would contact Lantronix and get more feedback from them. I read through their documentation for the virtual media feature of the Spider IP KVM. The documentation doesn't make it clear whether the virtual media is dependent on an up and running Windows OS. It sort of bounces back and forth unless I'm reading it wrong. It also depends on USB functionality. If the Lantronix virtual media does work outside of a loaded OS, you have to check to see if your server is set up to connect to a USB drive on boot up...done via the BIOS. If the server is set up to do this, there may be an incompatibility with how the Latronix Spider presents the USB drive. This is why I say solutions like this one from Lantronix are basically obsolete with the server manufacturers providing this type of functionality and more built in (such as the ability to do firmware updates via the built in out of band interface) which the Lantronix will never be able to do.

The only place I can see using Lantronix (or another vendor like Raritan) is for serial console access to network devices or IPMI access to server equipment.

3. doutommy

doutommy Thread Starter

The lantronix was provided by the datacenter. They expect it to work. I really do think it is just a syntax issue. The manual states you need to enter the path but then the example in the manual is without a path so I don't know what they expect.

T

4. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Expect and know it works by actually implementing are two different things. If the provider is using the Lantronix as part of the package, they should be providing some sort of hardware support. Also in this day and age, I really wonder what type of servers they are running to require the Lantronix and not have some sort of OOB management integrated into the server itself.

5. doutommy

doutommy Thread Starter

The lantronix is to be used to install the OS itself.

NVM, i'll go elsewhere.

T

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1140777

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice