1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Gotta Doozy 4U

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by XR8D2K, Jan 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. XR8D2K

XR8D2K Thread Starter

I am trying to fix a HP Pavillion...

the orig h/d has been formatted and will not START XP Pro that was loaded on another rig... as well as from the original HP rig... Now that I have cleaned the h/d... I am stuck...

I used a WORKING h/d with OS loaded and the HP rig will NOT recognize... But BIOS sees the drive...!!!

I used a VIRGIN h/d... in the HP rig and tried to load and now the h/d gives me the Blue Genie...!!!

h/d will start OS in another rig...!!!

Have loaded OS on another rig and put in the HP but will not load...

Rule Out - H/D & S/W...............

WITHOUT HP RESTORE CD or diskettes...
    how do I get a new/different h/d to work in the HP rig, let alone the ORIGINAL h/d...???

I figured putting in a different h/s or reloading the original h/d, that I would be able to upgrade the OS, as well as get rid of that nasty HP promo screen...

Used NEW cables... took out battery & replaced...

Used the Maxtor diagnostic s/w that I dl'd from the site, which is taking care of Quantum drives... and all that did was format but YET... I can NOT load OS...

What can I do...???

I KNOW HP will not help since the unit is a gift from a grand parent to my client's kid for Xmas and NO.... registration or original s/w bundle or restore cd or diskette...

2. Dan O

Dan O

HP and Compaq PCs require the latest BOIS to work with XP. I recommend you download and install it. Then boot with the XP CD and reinstall it.

3. XR8D2K

XR8D2K Thread Starter

Hey DanO;

Well... do ya think you can attach the HP BIOS for me, or point me to a DIRECT link, as well as, HOW do I load the BIOS ???

4. Dan O

Dan O

5. XR8D2K

XR8D2K Thread Starter

Thanks DanO...

But the root of the problem is WHY can't I load OS on the original hdd after I zero fill as well as low level format???

I can load Win2K Pro on another hdd and rig and everything is peachy; but let me stick the hdd in the HP rig, and it is kaplooey...

I can take the original hdd from the HP, put in a different rig, load OS, and all is peachy; but let me stick the original hdd back in the HP rig, and still kaplooey...???

THAT... is what the DOOZY is...!!!

6. MrBillPro

MrBillPro

I can load Win2K Pro on another hdd and rig and everything is peachy; but let me stick the hdd in the HP rig, and it is kaplooey...

If 2000 is anything like XP which i think it is it don't like many hardware changes that will never work it's not like the old 98 were you can stick it in any pc almost and it will load and run.

My brother had a compaq once and the worst thisn i ever did was fdisk and format his drive because some of the bios settings was on his drive. To solve his problem i had to go down and buy a special CD Rom that a compaq pc would reconize on start up and then i used his restore disk to get going again man you talking about a headache. I don't know if HP is anything like compaq hopefully not.

7. Dan O

Dan O

The foundation of a PC is the BIOS, which stands for basic input output system. And I have personally experienced problems trying to install NT, 2000, and XP on Compaq and HP PCs with old BIOS. It just will not work.

8. MrBillPro

MrBillPro

This will never work 2000 is to much like XP

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/191880

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice