1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Gotta Have Games to go with my new Notebook.

Discussion in 'Games' started by Servant of Eru, Nov 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Servant of Eru

Servant of Eru Thread Starter

I've got it narrowed down to seven:

Half Life Platinum Pack

AvP 2 Gold Edition

Splinter Cell

Halo

And of course, these two there isn't any question as to whether or not I'm getting them!

KotOR

JK 3 Jedi Academy

Basically it's a question of which of the first five I'm not gonna get. I'm a huge Aliens and Predator movie fan, so I think I'm gonna get that one. I heard Splinter Cell is an excellent game, so I'm probably gonna get that one too. Basically it's a question of whether or not Halo is good enough to get, and whether or not Half Life is a worthy buy since HL 2 should be arriving soon. :(

2. moebius

moebius

yh dont go for hl, wait for hl2

BOTOH, hl2 takes on from where hl left off.

splinter cell is exellent.

:D

3. Servant of Eru

What does BOTOH mean? :confused: If HL 2 takes on where the other one left off wouldn't I want to know what happened in the other one? :confused: Also, should I wait for any of these to go down in price and hit the bargain bins? I'm thinking that KotOR and JK 3 will keep me busy for awhile. :) I'm still not sure whether Halo is worth it. :(

4. McTimson

McTimson

BOTOH = But on the other hand, I think...?

Get HL, one of the best games ever made, and you can get tons of mods for it.

What kind of notebook are you getting? I mean, if I were ever to get a laptop, I wouldn't even think of playing those games unless I had opened up the entire thing and stuck a better heatsink on the CPU...laptops weren't designed for games at all, so unless you're getting one specifically designed for them, I would be cautious playing newer games...

5. Servant of Eru

It's a Dell, and I got the special 4-year warranty on it. It also has a special graphics card for games on it. It said on the website that it should be able to handle most new games on it. If it messes it up, I can always fall back on the warranty. ;)

6. Servant of Eru

I thought about getting an Alienware one, but I got the Dell with the same specs, a more reliable warranty, and lots of accessories for about half the price of the Alienware. :eek: It doesn't look as cool, but looks ain't everything if ya know what I mean. ;)

7. Servant of Eru

Are KotOR & JK3 good enough to advocate spending brand-new-just-released prices for, or should I wait for them to go down in price some, and buy Splinter Cell, all the HL I can find, and AvP2G? I'm just thinking that those should keep me happy for awhile, and then I can hope to get the other three for Christmas, or purchase them at a later, less expensive date. :) Or should I just bite the bullet, and buy those two, and AvP2G? :(

8. jskrakowski

jskrakowski Guest

splinter cells is SOOOOOOOOO COOL on pc and so easy to play.....and it plays on most anycard Gf2 MX200 32MB and higher...just fine (albiet ugly)

i play it fine at 1024x768 with all settings on medium (it won't let me do high......

i think high is reserved for directx8 cards, cuz it's got RADEON 9800Pro killing framerates on high (20 fps range!)

9. jskrakowski

jskrakowski Guest

Mctimson, as much as a greatly respect you, i beg to differ on this one.

with the new cards on laptops (the GeForce FX Go 5600) you can play games fine! better than most people's PC's and the benchmarks show it.

though............DESKTOP'S are BEYOND ANY DEGREE WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY (times 1,000,000,000,000,000) better than laptops........just easier to use.

10. inane5

inane5

here's my advice:

-I've played splinter cell. I was very dissapointed. I'm used to playing shooter games and let me tell ya: splinter cell is NOT a shooter game. it's so annoying: you have very little ammo, you can't pick up weapons, and you can't AIM strait unless you're not moving (what kind of NSA agent is he?). The plot is also boring.

-consider MAX PAYNE (the first one, i haven't played the 2nd). The game is cool. You run around doing matrix-like mid-dive-shooting. The plot is also awesome and funny sometimes. It beats the hell out of half life and splinter cell.

-I've played the original half life. It's old school. You run around shooting stuff and pushing buttons. It's not designed so much for the plot, more like for overcome the annoying challenges presented to you in the game. Don't buy it to play the single-player missions. Buy it for counterstrike, day of defeat, etc - which you can download for free. If you do this though, you need to be connected to high speed internet, and you won't need the platinum pack. the cheapest version of half life will work

-the general story to half life is: you're a scientist called morgan freeman, your secret government facility fuks up real bad and aliens come to earth. Half life 2 starts with the story line: earth has become war-torn from the aliens. You, with the help of the people you saved in hl 1, run around for some cheesy reason and kill aliens and bad guys.

GET MAX PAYNE.

11. Deathdealer

Deathdealer Guest

i agree i beat max payne yesterday

12. jskrakowski

jskrakowski Guest

....splinter cell is not your average shooter...it's a tactical espionage shooter.............like metal gear solid 2: sons of liberty...........it's not inteded to be guns a-blazing.......and the story! man! it ROCKS!

but.to each his own......im the kind of person to give every game an equal shot.

splinter....i love it..graphics rocks.story rocks.........it's SLOW AS MOLASSAS, and equally as think and deep! it's awesome.....it's the complete oposite of G3 or podracing......it's slow.......but in a good way....:)

13. McTimson

McTimson

It's not the fact that laptops can't handle games, it's the fact that many laptop manufacturers (Dell) don't build laptops with gaming in mind. So instead, most of their cooling features are focused on the CPU, and a little bit on the GPU. But since new games require massive amounts of graphics power, more cooling emphasis needs to be placed on the GPU. Many, many times, people will get a standard laptop, and try to play a game in which they meet the requirements for, but since there is so much work to be done by the CPU and GPU together, the small case simply can't move that much air, they overheat, and the system restarts.

If they say it can play newer games, then fine, but personally, I wouldn't expect that much from it...

And for the games....get Max Payne, awesome game, and Max Payne 2, which is an even better game. It's amazing.

14. flyeater

flyeater

I agree with McTimson. I only play a few older titles on my laptop even though it's specs appear to be O.K.
    fyi the big difference with Alienwar's laptop is that it contains alot of desktop parts. The CPU is not the mobile P4 but a full blown desktop version. The vid card in the Area 51 is a 128MB ATI. Dell doesn't even come close with their optional vid card.
    Alienware designed the Area 51 for lan parties not for general use on say a flight to Detroit. The Area 51's battery life is very low due to the power it's componets need.
    I know McTimson hates Dell but since we can't realisticly build our own laptops I think it's a good choice.
    However it still stands that they're not made for gaming in general.
    Stick to older titles for best performance. As of this moment you won't be able to play HL2 or Doom III.
    By the way Valve has pretty much come out and said NVidia cards are going to underperform. The stories a bit complicated but suffice to say NVidia's scrambling to fix it.

15. Servant of Eru

FYI Alienware isn't using Desktop parts in their Mobile Systems anymore. :( Click Here for more info.

I just looked on Alienware's site, and apparently they've skinnied down the Area 51m so that it uses the normal ATI mobile, and Nvida go GPUs. It looks like everything in them is now the same as the Dell Laptop I ordered, with the possible exclusion of the CPU. :eek:

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/177494

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice