1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Gotta replace my floppy drive.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by stephen101, Sep 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. stephen101

stephen101 Thread Starter

Hi
    I have fitted a second HDD and it needs drivers. Seagate has an online wizard to set up the HDD but they recommend making a startup floppy.
    I have a stack of start up floppies but not one made with this computer with its current OS.

Now the real problem is that I find that my floppy drive will read but not write.
    I do have a couple of floppy drives so I could do a swap.

Question: If I fit another floppy drive will my computer recognize it, will I need drivers? And is what else could go wrong.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Uhhm, floppy drives and hard drives do not require additional drivers as all support for such devices in built into the Operating System.

You do however need to partition and format the drive before it can be used - as long as it is detected in the BIOS, meaning you have the iDE cable and the Jumper settings on the drive setup correctly.

OR can you describe your problem in detail including the Windows version you are running?

3. Arky

Arky

You have the capability of installing two floppys at the same time (A and B drives) unless you boot from a CD. In the latter case, the Boot Cd is A: and the old A: is now B:. The floppy controller on the motherboard will recognize any configuration within these contraints.

4. stephen101

Ok, with regard to the second HDD, my system just does not seem to recognize it. It replaced a five and a quarter inch floppy, that still appears in "My Computer". I will chack the jumpers but I think they are ok. It is wired
    via an IDE cable with the first HDD, the first HDD as master the new on as slave. The cable is an old one without the locater tabs maybe I should replace this?

In the meantime I will just swap the floppy drive and see if that sorts that problem.

My OS is Windows 98SE

Stephen101

5. Arky

Arky

Make sure the second hard drive is jumped to be the slave.

6. stephen101

Will do

Probably be the weekend before I get to that.
    Will post with results.

Thanks
    stephen101

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    If you removed the old floppy, you should go into the BIOS setup and change the Floppy B: setting to NONE. You should also check that the BIOS is recognising the new drive - you can have it AUTOMATICALLY DETECT drives.

As for the IDE cable, if your motherboard supports 66MB/s transfer speeds or higher you should be using an 80 wire/40 pin IDE cable - these cable are also tabbed so they cannot be inserted the wrong way - red strip faces the power plug.

To use the new drive you must partition it. This is done with FDISK. Go to Start -> Run -> and type FDISK. I believe its Option 5 that lets you select which hard drive you want to work with. Once you have the right drive selected you can create a Primary Partition on it. Once create you will need to reboot and then it should appear in My Computer at which time you can format it. You need to be careful that you do not delete/change the partition on your old drive as that will cuase all data to be lost.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/276207

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice