1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Government keeping the consumer in the dark

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by Bush Lady, Sep 1, 2004.

Advertisement
  1. Bush Lady

Bush Lady Thread Starter

Those of us that were raised on a farm now what 'Fresh' is. When you get an egg that the chicken just laid. Or milk that is fresh from the cow that when is put in the fridge, later has cream on top.
    The 'city slickers' don't have any idea what 'fresh' is. For example the eggs in the supermarket have a 'best before date' on them. How old are these eggs. I think that if the government wanted the consumer to now how old the eggs are in the supermarket, legulation would be passed so that there be a date on the egg carton when the 'egg was laid' along with the 'best before date'. Another example is the cucumbers. Have you ever notice the ordinary cucumbers that have to be peeled off before they are eaten are waxed in the supermarket. When you buy one of these and peel it, it is rotten inside.
    Anyone that has bought a 'fresh egg' from a farmer, says can I have somemore of those eggs, they are real good. And it is not just the taste of the eggs the baked goods that have 'fresh eggs' turn out better.
    So my question is: Why is the government not doing anything about this? Why can't the 'city slickers' now what 'fresh really is?

2. deh

deh

Is it me or did anyone else just hear "Dueling banjos" and have a thought of the movie "Deliverance" cross thier minds? ;) :D

(j/k)

3. Gibble

Gibble

Why blame the gov't...people can petition the corporations on their own and get the company to put on the 'packaged date' as well, but since most people don't care, corporations don't bother...

...and it's not just produce, and milk/eggs, fresh meat is sooo much better, we have started buying meat straight from the farmer, and it's so good.

We just split with some people, buy a cow and have it slaughtered, it's not only much cheaper, but tastes better, it doesn't get frozen forever and you know you are getting quality cuts of meat.

4. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

5. moonmist

moonmist

oooOOoooooo that Candy is a sharp cookie !!! ;)

6. Bush Lady

Bush Lady Thread Starter

Buy a dozen eggs from the farmer and make sure that it isn't older than say a week and then go to the supermarket and buy a dozen eggs from there. If you care at all what you eat, you will, if at all possible, go back to that farmer and buy that dozen eggs from him.

7. ~Candy~

And if I run a hotel and I need 20 cases of "FRESH" eggs, is this farmer going to be able to provide them :confused:

moonmist, I had help ;)

8. angelize56

angelize56 Always remembered in our hearts

Every sharp cookie needs a drop of milk now and then! ;) :D
    He might need Preparation H afterwards!! :p :D

9. Bush Lady

Bush Lady Thread Starter

If the farmer would be selling his eggs and not stockpilling you would be able to get 'fresh eggs'. The problem is that eggs are not getting to the supermarket fast enough. The supermarket maybe making their orders 'every week', but how long do the eggs sit in a warehouse before they are brought to the supermarket. If the farmer were forced to sell 'fresh eggs' then the old eggs would be thrown out. And just a thought I am willing to bet that if the eggs are fresh then people will buy more and the farmer can increase production because of demand.

10. moonmist

moonmist

My family buys eggs from a small vegetable vendor..........he goes to the country every other day for fresh veggies and stuff.......... You can tell the difference between the eggs we get from him and the eggs we get from the Supermarket.

11. deh

deh

Supermarket eggs, taste like eggs to me. besides doesn't it all "taste like chicken".

12. Gibble

Gibble

Well, that's not how the economy works.

You see, the eggs are produced over in city A...people in city B, they have no eggs, but city A has too many, to get eggs to city B, they must be shipped, now, what happens when city B needs more eggs than city A can provide *eek* a crisis, city B must get from city A, and city C, so to lower costs and streamline the process, an intermediary takes the eggs from city A and city C and ships to city B. Yes, the eggs aren't as fresh as they could be, but this is the most efficient way to get eggs everywhere people want them, and to make sure the fewest eggs are wasted.

If YOU want fresher eggs, go to a farm and get them.

This is a capitalist society, the GOVERNMENT SHOULD NOT BE INTERFERING WITH HOW BUSINESS RUN unless the safety of the public is in jeopardy. That is why best before dates are mandatory, because after that, the customers health is in jeopardy if they eat the spoiled food.

If people want the convenience of knowing when the food was produced, then they have to lobby the producers to add it. It's NOT the governments job to do this.

13. ~Candy~

:confused:

Is it just me, or do I not grasp any logic there? :confused:

14. Gibble

Gibble

That's because it isn't there, and I just gave a quick albeit very elementary lesson in economics ;)

15. deh

deh

Yeah after all didn't they successfully lobby to have a "born on date" placed on Budweiser beer? :D Note: And its still nasty.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/268974

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice