Tech Support Guy banner

Government Recalls All Segway Scooters

677 views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Corrosive 
#1 ·
WASHINGTON — The maker of the Segway Human Transporter has agreed to recall the motorized scooters because riders have been injured falling off when its batteries are low.

The Consumer Product Safety Commission announced the recall Friday, saying that three people had been injured. One suffered a head wound and needed stitches.

The recall involves about 6,000 of the single-rider, two-wheeled scooters that can travel up to 12 mph. The scooter uses gyroscopes to keep it upright, making it less likely to fall or be knocked over.

The Segway was unveiled in December 2001 to much fanfare by Dean Kamen, an inventor who holds around 100 patents, including a wheelchair that climbs stairs and the first portable kidney dialysis machine.

Link

#2 ·
You mean people STILL use them?!?!?! :D

#6 ·
Wow I wanted one of those since seeing it on the tonight show, and I still do I'll just charge the battery when it's time to fall off. :D

#7 ·
Never mind over $5000 with shipping!!!!!!!!!!!!

#9 ·
How dumb do you have to be though to keep trying to go fast when the battery says it's low...I mean come on.

It's like driving your car when you know you can see the belts showing through on your tire then expecting compensation because the tire blew sending you into the ditch and through the windshield (shoulda wore that seatbelt ;))

#10 ·
I have to agree with Gibble on this one.
Good analogy. Here's another that may come as close;
Should someone be able to sue the auto manufacturer for running out of gas on the freeway between exits and then while waving down a fellow motorist he trips, falls on the pavement and breaks his arm.

Should I be able to sue a flashlight manufacturer when my batteries go dead? The absence of light could also cause me to fall. :rolleyes:

#11 ·
The Register posts this:

"In a statement on its website, the company says:

Under certain operating conditions, particularly when the batteries are near the end of charge, some Segway HTs may not deliver enough power, allowing the rider to fall. This can happen if the rider speeds up abruptly, encounters an obstacle (hmmmm!), or continues to ride after receiving a low-battery alert. (my bold!)

Segway has received reports of just three people who have fallen off their Segway which may be related to this feature. One rider received a forehead injury requiring stitches. Not exactly a Ford Pinto-size debacle, is it?

We think a little danger introduced into the lives of Segway users is perhaps a good thing. We want Extreme Segway and we want it now"

#12 ·
"Small scooter-thingy travelling at 5mph on a full charge" and "extreme" seems to be a bit of an oxymoron, puta. No, what we need is something like extreme fishing, where baggy-arsed kids listening to punk-rock attempt to get that "gnarly" rainbow trout... :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.