1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

gpedit

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by mountian, Feb 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mountian

mountian Thread Starter

Hi everyone I can't figure out why my hash rules arent' working? I open gpedit.msc ->computer configuration->windows settings->security settings->software restiction policies->additional rules: rt click->new hash rule:
    then browes to the program I want to disallow wmplayer for example i've tried as well as mspaint.exe.
    but I am able to still run them? studying for my 70-680 exam and just following along with professor messor videos. Thanks for all your guys help sincerely mountian.:)

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

Have you set the Security Level to Disallow ? Since you are configuring Software Restriction Policy thru gpedit and not Local Security Policy, you may need to run gpupdate to get the policy to take effect. Before you set it to Disallow, make sure you go to Designated File Types and remove the LNK extension, or else all your shortcuts in your Start menu won't work.

3. mountian

mountian Thread Starter

Hey there, thanks for the information; you offer some solutions and I'm not entirely familar with all your saying.
    I got busy and have not been able to look into your solutions. I did however want to thank you for your reply. I will reply again and let you know how things worked. Thank you again lunar for responding...

4. mountian

mountian Thread Starter

Hey there LunarLander, yes i've set the hash rules to disallow; I removed the LNK extension from the designated file types and I ran gpupdate /target:computer from the command line and got computer policy update has completed successfully. Unfortunately, I can still run media player? Any other Ideas? AppLocker works : )

5. mountian

mountian Thread Starter

Thank You!

6. rainforest123

rainforest123

M:
    Is this the same computer for which you had Jan 2013 & Feb 2013 threads?

Is this the computer noted in your forum profile?

We are good, but not psychic. :)

RF123

7. mountian

mountian Thread Starter

yes, it's the dell inspiron laptop n5110 it has windows home premium. I am running VMware Workstation 9 and in that I am running windows 7 64bit enterprise editon.

8. mountian

mountian Thread Starter

I noticed in my profile details, that the utility log windows enterprise as the O/S.

9. rainforest123

rainforest123

m :
    Thanks.

Which SP s?

Please reference the OS involved. I suspect W7 enterprise for this issue. Is that accurate?

RF123

10. mountian

mountian Thread Starter

On the 2/9/2013 it updated to SP1. that is the enterprise O/S inside the host. The home premium is SP 1 as well.

11. rainforest123

rainforest123

12. mountian

mountian Thread Starter

yes that is correct it is the windows 7 enterprise. thanks for all your help RF.

13. rainforest123

rainforest123

m :
    You are welcome, mountian.

You need to thank LL for any success with this one.

I am merely a bystander, trying to keep out of the way of the people who are working. :)

RF123

14. mountian

mountian Thread Starter

Yes of course, always appreciate all your guy's is knowledge! I'm gonna try to disallow other apps thought mabe I was disallowing the wrong executible; but, I was able to stop programs like media player, ms paint and IE from executing with appLocker. So I don't know what's going on. I'll trying again later to figure it out. I'm studying to pass the 70-680 cert so I have to move on.
    Oh and thanxs LL for the nuget to remember to remove the LNX extension from the designated file types. The more you know!:)

15. lunarlander

lunarlander

Go to Gpedit .... Software Restriction Policy > Security Levels . Then double click on Disallow > Set as Default button. OK.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1088092

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice