1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

gpf blue screen memory dump

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by docfl, Aug 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. docfl

docfl Thread Starter

I am getting a reocuring error message from windows xp. Nv4.disp
    Stop 0x0000EA(0X81D692E8, 0X81F706C0, OXF8971CB4, 0X000 00001
    begining memory dump. I have gotten the same message on and off since I bought my Inspiron laptop. I normaly get that error message while using mspaint. on Paint.net software I'm getting not enough memory.
    I have run Dells diognostic tools with no success. I run spybot and adaware weekly, ran disk clean up and defragged. I thought it might be drivers, so I downloaded and installed updated drivers from Dells website. I even took the 2nd ram chip out and reset it. I have gotten the same message on 2 hard drives, and after reinstalling xp.
    What is so frustrating is that I cant seem to narrow down a cause. Like I said I have been getting these messages for years, but it is not consistant. It will work fine for a month or two, than I'll start getting the messages again for a week or so, then be fine for another month or two.
    Thanks for any help
    Docfl

2. norton850

norton850

Nv4.disp -- Problem would appear to be with the NVidia display drivers. Did you update those?

3. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

How much memory is installed in the laptop -- and what kind of "low memory" error are you receiving?

If you open the Task Manager and select the performance tab when you are having this problem, what is the "Peak" and "Limit" values?

Also, it may be a heat issue really -- especially if it tends to occur when the processor is in high usage.

Try monitoring the temps with Speedfan -- be sure to enable the "Dell" support function:

http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

There is a possible "workaround" for the issue here, but I wouldn't recommend "none" unless it becomes unbearable:

http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?kbid=293078&sd=RMVP

4. docfl

docfl Thread Starter

DOAH!!!! Sorry, feel like a id10t. I have 512 mb ram, 1.7 P4, Dell inspiron 2650 laptop. The laptop dosent seem to that much hotter, I normaly keep a paperback book under the back to improve air flow. As I mentioned in the original post, I have reinstalled the drivers several times.
    Thanks again

5. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

That should be plenty of ram -- so there must be some reason why you are getting "low memory" errors. Usually this doesn't occur unless you are also low on virtual memory.

If that "peak" value exceeds your installed ram -- or worse, approaches the "limit" value -- then you are truly using too much memory.

6. docfl

docfl Thread Starter

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/488565

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice